SPCascadeDropdowns with multiple parent columns

Jun 1, 2013 at 5:57 AM
Hi Marc,

I am stuck in a project and need to get it done soon. Have already lost so much time
I have followed your work for such a long time and have implemented the solutions you post. Thank you for the great work that you do.

Now, I have a problem ... I'm trying to achieve cascading dropdown functionality with multiple parents, i.e. 3 dropdowns:

1st - Parent
2nd - Child of Parent 1
3rd - Child of Parent 1 and Parent 2

Basically the 3rd dropdown has filter values from both 1st and 2nd parent. I'm using the SPServices js to achieve this but I realized in one of your conversations, you had mentioned that SPCascadeDropdowns is executed only when the page loads which means when the user selects the value from 1st parent and 2nd parent, the 3rd dropdown will have values only for the value that was selected on page load. Dynamically there is no way to get the value of 1st dropdown and have the 3rd dropdown be dependent on the values in 1st and 2nd dropdown.

Do you have a solution for my problem? Please help!

Thanks,
Charan

P.S. Thank you for all the knowledge that you share. I have completed many projects with your help.
Coordinator
Jun 1, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Charan:

If the third dropdown depends on only the value of the 2nd, then SPCascadeDropdowns will work for you. If it's a combination of 1 and 2 that drives 3, then it won't. Can you post some example values?

M.
Jun 1, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Edited Jun 1, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Hi Marc,

Yes! it is a combination of 1 and 2 that drives 3 and I tried using SPCascadeDropdowns with additional filter as well but it doesnt work.

Is there anyway to do it? What are my options?

Example:

Dropdown 1 - Divisions:

Corporate
Directional
Testing
MWD
Motor Shop

Dopdown 2 - Budget Years: (Has lookup column "Division" per year)

Dropdown 3 - Expenditure: (Has lookup columns "Division" & "Year" per expenditure item)

Misc.
Repair
Office supplies
Tools
Machinery

So the Expenditure dropdown will have its value based on Division and Budget Year
such as I select:
Corporate and 2012 - I should get Misc and Repair to select from

Directional and 2013 - Misc and Tools to select from

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Charan
Coordinator
Jun 3, 2013 at 8:08 PM
Charan:

Unfortunately, the function as I've written it will not do this. It's a single parent/child relationship.

M.
Jun 4, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Hello Marc,

I have finally achieved the Multi Parent functionality with cascading dropdowns.

I have used the SP Client Object Model, CAML, SPServices, JQuery and some basic JavaScript.

Once I have made it reusable, I will share it with you and may be you can include that in your next release of SPServices. :)

Thank you for all your help. Appreciate it.

Thanks,
Charan
Coordinator
Jun 5, 2013 at 12:45 PM
I'm always interested to see examples of cool things that SPServices enables. Please do post back!

M.
Jun 26, 2014 at 12:37 PM
Hey CKSODHI, or Marc, did anyone ever figure this out? I know it's a year old, but I didn't want to start a new topic when one exists already.

I have this same scenario and was using SPSCascadeDropdowns, but need it to filter based upon 2 parent columns.

Any solutions?
Coordinator
Jun 26, 2014 at 1:27 PM
There's nothing in SPServices to cover the "more than one parent" situation. There's a lot of variability that can go into that, so its always seemed very hard to generalize.

M.
Jun 26, 2014 at 5:35 PM
Hi ShakaPonk,

Yes I was able to build a solution for such a situation where your dropdown is dependent on two parents, although it may not look pretty code wise but let me know your email, I will send you the script files.

I used Marc's SPServices to reduce code along with attaching events.

Thanks,
Charan