Retrieving a User's Task List?

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:22 AM

First off, let me just say that spservices is an amazing resource.

Question: are there any examples out there of using spservices as a method to retrieve the current user's tasks?

I currently have this functionality using a slightly customized web part (thanks to this great article), but I'd really prefer to do it in spservices. Any suggestions?

Aug 8, 2013 at 2:29 PM

If it's just a single list, then it would be a simple GetListItems with the proper filtering. If you're looking across the site (or wider), then a call to the Search service probably makes sense.

Aug 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Edited Aug 8, 2013 at 8:34 PM
Hi Marc,

Thank you for the help! I think I'm getting there, but I am a bit of a novice programmer and am receiving results that are not just for one user. Do you see anything (or several things) in the code below that look ill-advised?

Thanks again!
function getMyTasks() {

// Get Current User
var myUserName= $().SPServices.SPGetCurrentUser({
    fieldName: "UserName"

// Create Search for Tasks
 var queryText = "<QueryPacket xmlns='urn:Microsoft.Search.Query' Revision='1000'>"
    queryText += "<Query>"
    queryText += "<Context>"
    queryText += "<QueryText language='en-US' type='STRING'>"
    queryText += "ContentClass:\"STS_Site\" ContentClass:\"STS_ListItem_Tasks  AssignedTo:" + myUserName + "*\"";
    queryText += "</QueryText>"
    queryText += "</Context>"
    queryText += "</Query>"
    queryText += "</QueryPacket>";

operation: "Query",
    queryXml: queryText,
    completefunc: function (xData, Status) {
        alert("Status: " + Status);
        $(xData.responseXML).find("QueryResult").each(function() {
                    // What are my results?
        }); // End xData response
    } // End completefunc
}); // End SPServices

} // End Function

Aug 17, 2013 at 1:13 AM
Does anyone have any guidance on constructing the proper CAML query for a "My Tasks" list?
Aug 17, 2013 at 1:57 AM
Hi Carl,

I rely heavily on CAMLDesigner. It's a great visual tool for building CAML queries.

Aug 17, 2013 at 6:08 PM
There is nothing special about a Tasks list. It's just a list at its core, so your CAML query will look like any other.

What problem are you encountering?

Sent from mobile device.
Aug 19, 2013 at 9:32 PM
Thank you for the help, Charles and Chris!

Charles, I'll check out CAMLDesigner -- much appreciated.

Paul, I'm trying to be slightly more ambitious and emulate the "My Tasks" query that finds a user's tasks across all lists in SharePoint as illustrated in this article. Any help/thoughts are helpful as I'm a bit of a novice.

Aug 20, 2013 at 1:09 AM
With a Tasks list an Assignee field (usually) exists which is used to set to the user for which the task is assigned. But: it could be any field if type 'People and Group'. So when you say you want to get a user's tasks, you need to be aware of what column is being use to capture the assignee.

Ok. Had to get that out of the way since you said you were a novice. :)

So to retrieve the rows out of a List for the 'current logged in user' you would use the <UserId/> CAML token when querying the List. Look at this for an example of how to use this token in CAML:

There are several examples here in the forums and documentation on how to use the Lists.GetListItems operation. That together with the reference above should get you going.

Sent from mobile device.