Need help with Code Plex project appearing in Search Results

Oct 2, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Hi Marc,

First of all, please excuse me for posting this unrelated topic in your project. But I don't know, where else to go for help. I tried searching a lot and posted in forums also, but didn't get any satisfactory response. So, I thought of reaching out to you, since you are very kind and patient in responding to most questions and also, you have your own project in Code Plex, which is one of the most famous and awesome contribution to the world of Share Point. I did publish a project on Code Plex almost a month ago. But it doesn't appear on Google Search, until and unless I type in the exact words in its URL, whereas, I can see some other projects, which show up, even if I type in the keywords for my project. I am amazed about this. I have been trying really hard to find out about this, but with no success. I have provided a proper title, summary, URL, description and documentation and added a whole bunch of tags, but still my project is not showing up on Google Search results, until I give the exact words in the URL. Can you please suggest / advise, on what I am doing wrong here. Again, the reason, I am asking you is because, even if you have developed a Gem of a library, if you couldn't get it up on Google Search, then people would not have known about it. I am also interested in understanding how did you manage to increase the reach of your project. Please help.
Coordinator
Oct 4, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Google search is a bit of a black hole. There's no way to know how often it crawls Codeplex or what the algorithms behind it are. Just having the project up on Codeplex won't guarantee much, as the algorithms take into account things like links back to the project, number of mentions, etc.

M.
Oct 4, 2013 at 3:07 PM
Thanks a lot, Marc.