$().SPServices.SPCascadeDropdowns without relationships list

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:29 PM
Hi,
I need to create cascaded dropdowns on a SharePoint site (not on a list form), containing data from SharePoint lists. I don't have a relationshipList, I just need to fill the dropdowns.

Is there any way I can use SPCascadeDropdowns or any other function for this? I saw in the source that most of the work is done by the cascadeDropdown function, which is not external available.

Thanks
pascal
Coordinator
Jan 7, 2014 at 4:33 PM
Pascal:

Where would you store the relationship info and why would you not put it in lists?

M.
Jan 7, 2014 at 11:54 PM
Outside of an Edit/New Form, this sounds like a custom solution, not SPCascadingDropDowns. IMO

Paul. :)

--

_________
Paul T

Jan 8, 2014 at 6:13 AM
Edited Jan 8, 2014 at 6:13 AM
sympmarc wrote:
Pascal:

Where would you store the relationship info and why would you not put it in lists?

M.
I need to build a custom search form. Some of the selection criterias should be presented as dropdown with values filled from lists. Even though there might exist somewhere a list which contains lookup fields for these list, it has nothing to do with the search form.
Coordinator
Jan 8, 2014 at 1:28 PM
Well, that's the whole point of using the relationshipLists. If you're using a lookup column, then you're using a list for the source anyway. Or maybe I'm missing something.

M.
Jan 8, 2014 at 1:46 PM
sympmarc wrote:
Well, that's the whole point of using the relationshipLists. If you're using a lookup column, then you're using a list for the source anyway. Or maybe I'm missing something.

M.
Thanks for the quick answer. The columns are not necessarily defined as a lookup columns in my case. And also their definition has nothing to do with the search form (eg. if value is required). I don't think SPCascadeDropdowns fits for my use case, and I've implemented it in the meantime using JSOM.