CascadingDropdown of Multi-select on SP2013

Jan 13, 2014 at 7:55 PM
Edited Jan 13, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Been testing various configurations for CascadingDropdown and I recently tried using a multi-select parent with a single-select child. I basically took the code from a working single-parent/single-child script and replaced it. The Parent lookup works, but the child doesn't filter - just get (None).

Here's the specific code section:
relationshipList: "File Plan", // Relationship list name
relationshipListParentColumn: "FunctionalAreas", //Parent LU col in relationship list
relationshipListChildColumn: "Content%5Fx0020%5FTypes", //Child LU col in relationship list
relationshipListSortColumn: "Content%5Fx0020%5FTypes",
parentColumn: "FunctionalAreas", //Current list Parent LU col
childColumn: "ContentTypeLU" //Current list child LU col

PS: I'm still using the 2013.2 Beta - I'll update to the release and try again.
Jan 13, 2014 at 8:04 PM
The release ought to work. I fixed that in one of the cycles. (At least I thought I did.)

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:35 PM

I got it to work - but it didn't have to do with the update. It was how my relationship list was structured. Correct me if I'm misundestanding this.
The method is expecting that (like your Region/States/Cities example) the relationship list is expecting that the parent field is a lookup and the child is a text field (which is then used as lookup in the current form). Also the Parent is acting as the foreign key in the relationship list.

However, I have relationship lists where both parent and child fields are lookup. Unfortunately SP doesn't allow nested lookups - meaning I can't have a lookup field in my current list that points to a lookup field in another list. The only solution seems to be adding a separate text field (in relationship list) for the child field and populate the text field from the child lookup. Then I can reference the child text field as a lookup in my current list.