Before I get started... Can this be done?

Jun 8, 2014 at 4:18 PM
This is all new to me, but I'm ready to start learning. Before I dive in I just wanted to check that this is the right tooling for what I'm hoping to achieve, which is: the form for a new list item starts with a pull down with product names from another list. Based on the selected item, several other fields on the form are populated with corresponding descriptions etc for that product, all derived from the same list as the product name, obviously from different columns.

I don't want you to tell me how to do this (although any pointers will be appreciated ;-) but I would like to know that I'm trying to do something that can actually be done.

Thank you
Jun 8, 2014 at 4:28 PM
Are your other "fields" also Lookup fields? or just regular input fields? or just HTML display (read only) elements?

Answer is: yes, it can be done... If the other production fields are lookups, then I think you can use Marc's SPCascadeDropdown utility... if not, then you need to go with javascript.

Marc also has another utlity that allows you to display "related" information about a selection from a lookup dropdown... you may look into it to see if it fits your use case (the fact you mentioned "other field" it will probably not work.

Approach/Design:

Bind onChange event on the product name dropdown. When triggered, this event callback should read the the ID of the product selected, do a GetListItems to the products table with that ID to get the product record. With that information, you then populate the other fields/elements on the page.

Hope this helps.

_________
Paul T

Jun 8, 2014 at 4:37 PM
Thank you Paul.

Good to know it can be done. The other fields aren't lookup fields. So I have to follow the javascript route. That will be a bit of a journey, because I haven't used javascript before. I do understand the concepts however (I have a background in VB) so I should get there in the end. Your approach makes sense and is very helpful.

Thanks!
Jun 8, 2014 at 4:40 PM
It may already do what you want... and if it does not, then by looking at the code, you may be able to change it to do what you really want.

Good luck.

_________
Paul T

Jun 8, 2014 at 4:56 PM
Thank you. Good tip. It is starting to make a lot more sense!