how can one get the specific reasons why a given person has been shown the access denied page

Jun 16, 2014 at 8:14 PM
Dear SpServices Users --

Please help.

I am new to SpServices but I do know a little jQuery, etc.

I am wondering...

...how can one get the specific reasons why a given person has been shown the access denied page?

For example, right now, it shows the following...

Sorry, this site hasn't been shared with you.

Ideally, I would like to adjust the AccessDenied page to show something like this...

Sorry, this site hasn't been shared with you.

To access this page, you must be a member of one of the following groups...

GroupName1
GroupName2
GroupNameN

Please <a href ...blah...>Request Access</a> or contact <a href ...blah...>Tech Support</a> for help.

How can it be done?

Please advise.

Thanks.

-- Mark Kamoski
Coordinator
Jun 18, 2014 at 6:24 PM
Mark:

SPServices won't help you with this. If you think about it, the info you want to show on the page sort of reveals too much. If you don't have access then you shouldn't be able to see what groups have access. That would just open an attack vector.

The page you're talking about is in _layouts, I believe, and would have to be replaced appropriately.

M.
Jun 19, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Good reply.

Yes, I know about such vectors, etc, and it is one of the first things I mentioned to my client.

But this is very local, very internal, and very non-internet facing. So, they say, they may want to do it anyway, for routing of access requests, diagnostics, logging, tracking, and etc. And I am very much a contractor being paid well to jump how and where I am told.

So, bottom line, I still need to at least know how it can be done, in terms of technical possibility and implementation.

I can do it with a compiled web part, for sure, but is there a better way?

If you have implementation ideas on this, then please add them here.

Thanks.

-|-

Mark Kamoski

Coordinator
Jun 20, 2014 at 2:13 PM
The Access Denied page ought to already have a link to request access.

Like I said, SPServices won't help you in any way with this.

M.