New Form lookup html control list threshold

Aug 15, 2014 at 3:34 AM

I wanted to use a lookup field in a new form to allow user to perform multiple select easily. However the lookup is to a table that exceeds the threshold of 5000 items. I notice that when the new form is loaded, the lookup field html control wasn't created (ie. a single text warning about threshold limit is displayed).

My customer still want to use lookup field multiple select instead of a autocomplete field. I would perform filtering on this lookup field to reduce the result set to below 5000. However i need that lookup field html control to be there in the first place.

How to have that lookup field html control when it exceeds 5000?

Many thanks.
Aug 15, 2014 at 12:58 PM
SPServices can't help you get around the 5000 item limit, unfortunately. If the control doesn't render in the first place, then SPServices can't act on it.

Your best bet is to create your own "control" client side.

Aug 15, 2014 at 1:27 PM
Dear M,

I would like to try the client side control, what is it?
Many Thanks.
Aug 15, 2014 at 1:59 PM
As I said, you'd need to build it. Maybe an autocomplete that requires a match.

Aug 15, 2014 at 2:22 PM
Dear M,

Would it be possible to recreate the input control (without the fetching of data) ?
Aug 15, 2014 at 3:06 PM
I would reconsider what type of UI would work optimally for your end users. The out of the box multi-select control really falls down with a lot of data, anyway. It's just too damn hard to find the values you want. That's why autocomplete is nice.