Custom Folder Content Type and setting New Button Order before its use

Sep 4, 2014 at 12:19 PM
Is it possible to set the New Button Order on a custom folder contetnt type, prior to it being used by an end user, in a document library? I know the end user themselves can, through the UI, change the button order, but I was hoping to set it, after I added it to the content types for the document Library, but prior to it being used to create new folders, by the end user.
Coordinator
Sep 6, 2014 at 7:08 PM
Where in the process would you want to do this? When you add the Content Type(s) to the Document Library? Can't you just do it through the UI?

M.
Sep 8, 2014 at 12:26 PM
Yes, I would have liked to do when I add the content type to the library. Unfortunatly, I do not want to leave it up to the user to know which content type should come first when using the resultant folder, created from the content type. Wish MS would have allowed that configuration of the folder content type, by Site Admin, once added the to the library and prior to using it, to create any new folders; but they left it to only using the UI after the folder is created using the content type, unlike most other configuration aspects in a document library. I was hoping that I could use SPServices with jQuery (or jQuery alone) to do this. I had thought of changing the default Content type on the NEW menu strip button (prior to using the 'New' drop down, changing out the ID on the javascript action). However my workaround now, is to disable the action on the NEW button forcing the user to use the drop down arrow on the New button, together with hiding the content type selections (using jQuery), so the user can only see/choose the proper folder content type to create. It's a bit 'cludgey' but from a user standpoint, but the user is now forced to use the proper content type, at the folder level required. Just seems MS did not take the folder content type configuration far enough, what they have at the UI level should also have been available from a Site admin configuration standpoint, when first adding the content type to the library.
Coordinator
Sep 8, 2014 at 3:16 PM
Are you talking about selecting the Content Type on the NewItem form or selecting the Content Type in the List Settings? You've lost me.

M.
Sep 8, 2014 at 3:53 PM
For now I am happy with my workaround. However, if I was going to do this with jQuery/SPServices(?) I would envision a DOM modification to the onclick javascript function, attached to the NEW button, that appears in the menu strip on a LVWP (in a custom view), and changing out the default content type ID there. If a user just clicks on the NEW button (versus the dropdown arrow to actually select a specific content type) the default Content type aspx page loads. By changing out the default Content Type Id on the NEW button, I thought I could affect what default content type editing page, would launch when depressed.
Coordinator
Sep 8, 2014 at 3:57 PM
Again, why wouldn't you just change the Content Type order in the List Settings? It seems like you're trying to write code where you don't need to. The first Content Type in the ordering is the default.

M.
Sep 8, 2014 at 4:02 PM
You can not change the content type order in the list settigns for a custom Folder Content type. It can only be changed once a folder is created from the content type, thurough the use of the dropdown item that appears when you hover over the folder in the document library. The ide veing that you can cange the conetntet type order as you wish for each folder. However I do not wish my user to have to do that.
Coordinator
Sep 8, 2014 at 4:20 PM
I still feel like I'm missing something. Are you mixing the idea of Content Types and items of a certain Content Type?

M.
Sep 8, 2014 at 4:34 PM
The "Change New button order" order, for the folder level specifically, can be changed/set by an end user, only in the UI of a list view webpart, when hovering over the folder in a document library (it is the bottom item on the context menu), be it a custom folder content type or a normal folder. The idea is that at different folder levels in SP2007 you can change the default "New button order for the folder". Unfortunately this can not be preset in the doc library settings, like you can do for content type order in general. I was trying to change or force the default content type that would be selected if the user selcted the new button while in a folder, as I did not want it to use the list setting order.