Location based metadata defaults in SharePoint 2010

Sep 8, 2014 at 2:01 PM
Hey All,

I am trying to set location based metadata defaults without having to use visual studio.

Currently, I have a URL generated outside of SharePoint which holds all the information that i need to populate a couple of lists. The link is clicked and the magic happens.

As part of that I would like to update the location based metadata using one of the values in the URL.

As i have written all of the existing code myself using spservices and jquery, I would love to continue as having to use visual studio would be a pain.

Cheers,

IntranetLou
Coordinator
Sep 8, 2014 at 2:12 PM
Lou:

What specific info are you trying to set? e.g., is it info in the items in the lists, the list settings, etc.?

M.
Sep 9, 2014 at 7:35 AM
Hey Marc,

This is what I am trying to achieve:

https://www.collaboris.com/blogs/collaboris-blog/policy-management/2013/02/27/how-to-set-default-column-values-on-a-document-in-sharepoint#.VA6q4_ldWYs so when documents are added into the folders within the list - they automatically pick up the correct metadata without relying on users getting it right.

I have had a look around and this is possible via visual studio and the MetaDataDefaults Class

It is possible to access this class using spservices?

Cheers,

IntranetLou
Coordinator
Sep 9, 2014 at 12:42 PM
Lou:

This is an out of the box capability, if you mean the inheritance of metadata by documents in folders.

M.
Sep 9, 2014 at 1:32 PM
Yep - that is what I want to be able to do with spservices so when I programatically create a folder in a document library, the metadata is all set ready for the users to use.