Cascading drop downs and large lists

Oct 14 at 9:35 PM
I am using SPCascadeDropdowns in my NewForm.aspx and EditForm.aspx and it all works fine.

However, the relationship list has become large (15,000+ items). Not ideal, but it is what it is.

The problem arises when NewForm or EditForm is loaded and SharePoint initially loads all 15,000+ items into that drop down, then SPCascadeDropdowns filters it down to about 20 items. The load of those 15,000+ items every time the form loads takes several seconds and users are complaining that its slow.

Has anyone come up with a way to make SharePoint not initially load all of the items into the drop down, which is then just going to be filtered anyway by SPCascadeDropdowns?
Coordinator
Oct 17 at 12:27 PM
Unfortunately, that's SharePoint. Since the form is loading all 15,000 items, I have to assume you're on SharePoint 2007? Later versions won't even load that many.

The only way to accomplish what you'd like is to build your own dropdown and populate the column yourself.

M.
Oct 17 at 2:11 PM
This is SharePoint 2013.

I guess I don't have a problem building my own drop down and populating it, I just don't know how I get SharePoint to know to put the data into the field when it is saved if the field is not on the NewForm.aspx or EditForm.aspx.
Coordinator
Oct 17 at 4:50 PM
I'm surprised the dropdown is populated with 15000 items. But anyway...

You'd need to do something sort of hacky, unfortunately. The EditForm is less a problem, because you could poke the value into the item on a change. The problem is the NewForm - where you don't yet have an ID - so there's nothing for you to update. I'll often just build a fully custom form when I get into something like this.

M.