SPCascadeDropdowns - Duplicates in dropdown...

Oct 30, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Sorry, another noob question...  To make sure I am getting this straight, I have copied everything from the documentation page step by step, though with one difference - My site does not allow SPD, so I am editing NewForm by adding "?ToolPaneView=2" to the URL (see Christophe Humbert's blog @ Path To SharePoint, http://pathtosharepoint.wordpress.com/2008/08/10/the-content-editor-web-part/ ).

Everything is actually working (can dropdown for Country, Region, and State), but my Country displays repeated values, while your example on the documentation page does not... So, from the list you show on the documentation page, I get"

1. Canada
  2. Canada
  3. United States
  4. United States
  5. United States
  6. United States
  7. United States
  8. United States

That is, having built only the first 8 entries in the States list.  Your example shows:

1. Canada
  2. France
  3. United States

without duplicates.

Where have I gone wrong?

Oct 30, 2009 at 7:34 PM

M.,  Is it possible that I am missing the point that there is a thrid list, not illustrated on the documentation page?  In reading another posts to the discussions, I see that there is one list to start the chain, as in:

List: Countries
Column: Title

List: Regions:
Column: Title (Region)
Column: Country (lookup to Column:Title of List:Countries)

List: States:
Column: Title (State)
Column: Region (lookup to Colmun:Title of List:Regions)

Is the first List: Countries what I am missing?  It seems to give me the results that you illustrate on the documentation page.

Oct 30, 2009 at 7:45 PM

I am having the same issue:

Everythng works in the example but....is see dupicates in the first list like so.....

Country Drop Down:
United States
United States
United States
United States
United States
United States

(i only added Canada and the United States in my lits data...)

Oct 30, 2009 at 7:47 PM

BRuiz: Especially if it works, the answer is yes. Which documentation page are you taslking about so that I can fix it if it is not right or complete?

Patrick: As BRuiz figured out, the Country column on your main list should be a look up to the Countries list, not the Regions list.

Oct 30, 2009 at 8:07 PM

Oh....I didnt know that there was a Countries list....Now it makes sense. What i did was on my filter page...i changed the Country field from a lookup to a choice...which worked too! One less list to worry about...Thanks!

Oct 30, 2009 at 8:23 PM
Edited Oct 30, 2009 at 8:39 PM

I strongly suggest using a list for the Countries.  See my reasoning in my article at EndUserSharePoint.com.

Nov 2, 2009 at 12:40 PM

M. - Complements on your very, very good work.  The documentation page to which I refer is "Documentation Go $().SPServices.SPCascadeDropdowns," fount @ http://spservices.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=%24%28%29.SPServices.SPCascadeDropdowns&referringTitle=Documentation.

My suggestion for clarification, to avoid others misunderstanding the point I did, would be to add one more list picture to the section where there are pictures of the Regions List and States List.  Just after the words: "From the examples above:," and above the Regions List, I suggest a screen-capture picture of the Countries List, showing the values "Canada," 'France," & "United States" to support the previous pictures of the DropDowns in action.

You know, now that I think of it, I realized that there must be another list when reading your response to Tasha in the "Questions on CascadingDropdown from branleejo" thread -- your response of Oct 30 at 10:51 AM showed the lists in text in the format I used above, and found that to be pretty clear as well.  It looked like:

It's all about relational tables, just like a database.

List: Cities

• Title = City Name

List: ZipCodes

• Title = Zip Code
  • City = lookup column to the Title column in the Cities list above

List: CirculationByDay

• Title = CircByDay (What is this?)
  • ZipCode = lookup column to the Title column in the ZipCodes list above

So either solution, a picture or text, or even both may make the documentation page clearer.

Again, thanks for both creating the library, and especially for being reponsive to all these questions.

R'grds - Ben.

Nov 2, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Thanks a lot for the feedback; I'll make some adjustments to the documentation.  I think the images look a litte crufty, anyway.  Time for a refresh!

The Cities, ZipCodes, and CirculationByDay lists above are Tasha's lists and aren't part of my example.