SPCascadingDropDowns:Does the "parent" dropdown have to be bound to a column?

Jan 12, 2010 at 10:58 PM

I am trying to figure out if the Cascading Drop Down fucntionality will work for my form.

I have a list called "CaseStudies" with a Mult-Select look-up column called "Tags" which gets its values from the Title Column in a list called "Tags".

The Tags list has another Multi-Select Column called "Categories".  Thus a Tag can belong to multple catagories.

I would like to be able to provide an unbound combo-box or a multi-select list box  to filter the Tags Choice list base on the category.  However I do not need to sotre the category value - i simply want to use it to make it easier to find tags.

So basically I want to filter the (left) tag list based on an unbound multi-select list.  Is that doable with this library?

Coordinator
Jan 13, 2010 at 12:44 PM

$().SPServices.SPCascadeDropdowns works with regular old columns in lists, as long as those columns are lookups into other lists (to provide consistent values).  Based on what you describe above, I believe it can work for you.  Take a look through the documentation.  I think you've alweady got the right constructs in place.

Bottom line: give it a try and I think it will work.

M.