SPCascadeDropdowns: Filling in additional fields

Coordinator
Jan 17, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Can this be used to fill in the form based on already existing text fields on the same list. Example the user enters a ID Number, it then pulls that mathing fields (if they exist) into the text fields below on the same form?

Coordinator
Jan 17, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Scott:

Could you please explain a little more about what you're trying to accomplish?  I'm not quite sure I get it.

Thanks,
M.

Jan 19, 2010 at 1:36 PM

I have a business unit that wants us to allow dupliate values to be added to a list, but for he newest item to remain the most current worked item. My thought was to use the SPCascadeDropdowns to act as an autofill based on the "Title" field. The previous data would populate based on the value entered into the "Title" field.  A good deal of the issues I face have to do with the limitations I am given. We cannot do anything that would have to me installed to the servers. So I have been playing with workflows and such but they all require an action to occur. I was looking for a "presave" type function or something similar.

Thank you.

Coordinator
Jan 19, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Hmm.  It sounds a little dangerous to "assume" that the newest item is the most current.  I guess it all depends on what you are going to do with the item values.  Have you looked at versioning?  And what about just having the user edit the existing item instead of creating a new one?  Maybe if you explain a little more about the business requirements it would help.

A call to the Lists Web Service with the GetListItems operation certainly would let you do what you want technically, but I'm not sure if it's the right approach logically.

M.

Jan 19, 2010 at 3:17 PM

They could always edit the existing item. The problem is how to get them to it easily. I always have to design the interface with the worst case in mind. My thought was they enter the LoanNumber in the "Title" field. Once they have done that they either get directed to the edit form of that item or a new form if the value is not found.

One thought I had was to use the DropDowns to populate a filter somehow that could be used to filter a view below the new form webpart. Basically they would enter the LoanNumber and it would sort the bottom webpart. If no results are found they proceed with the new item, if they see a result they simply click the edit option on the item below.

I am very new to anything custom in Sharepoint. SO I am trying as manythings as possible. We are having to use SharePoint to accomplish things that would be better suited in other software due to resources being tight.

As far as versioning, the only concern would be caputing all the information that is available in versioning. I have not been successful when exporting data and getting the historical comments from SP.

As Always thank you.

Coordinator
Jan 19, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Is this a parent/shild type scenario?  If so, then having the loans in one list (call it "Loans") and the whatever-the-other-thing-is in a separate list is probably what makes sense.

You can give the user some way to choose the loan, and then take them to wherever they need to be (a page to add a line number, a transaction, an event, whatever).

M.

Feb 25, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Okay got side tracked by another problem and of course they have now changed what they want. They are now want to enter a loan number then have it populate the remaining fields off over the Loan Number on a seperate list. Basically they are wanting a VLookup. I have already acomplished this with a workflow and redirect, however sometimes the page refreshes faster than the worflow fires.

Is there a way to pull this off without the workflow. I dont like using smoke and mirrors if I dont have too?

Coordinator
Feb 28, 2010 at 2:07 PM
Edited Feb 28, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Scott:

Workflows run asynchronously in a queue, so there's no guarantee that the workflow will be done when you refresh.  You can certainly call the Lists Web Service to get the loan details.

FWIW: Adding the loan details which exist in another list violates relational database rules. If the values change in the original list, then this list will not be in synch. Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, this could be a bad idea.

M.