On save: "Value does not fall within the expected range"

Jan 29, 2010 at 10:27 AM

your CascadingDropdown is really great and easy to use! I put it on a site and selecting itemsworks just fine. But when I save the form, this exception occurs:

"Failed to get value of the "Conversational Partner" column from the "Lookup" field type control.  See details in log. Exception message: Value does not fall within the expected range."

The related lines in the log:

01/29/2010 12:24:10.39 	w3wp.exe (0x1378)                       	0x1004	Windows SharePoint Services   	Web Controls                  	88wy	Medium  	SPDataSourceView.ExecuteSelect() - selectArguments: IsEmpty=True, MaximumRows=0, RetrieveTotalRowCount=False, SortExpression=, StartRowIndex=0, TotalRowCount=-1	 
01/29/2010 12:24:22.92 	w3wp.exe (0x1378)                       	0x1004	Windows SharePoint Services   	General                       	72e9	Medium  	Error in resolving user 'Jan-Hendrick Fischer' : System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: Unable to contact the global catalog server     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SPActiveDirectoryDomain.GetDirectorySearcher()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.PeopleEditor.SearchFromGC(SPActiveDirectoryDomain domain, String strFilter, String[] rgstrProp, Int32 nTimeout, Int32 nSizeLimit, SPUserCollection spUsers, ArrayList& rgResults)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SPUserUtility.ResolveAgainstAD(String input, Boolean inputIsEmailOnly, SPActiveDirectoryDomain globalCatalog, SPPrincipalType scopes, SPUserCollection usersContainer, TimeSpan searchTimeout, String customFilter)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SPActiveDirectoryPrincipalResolver.ResolvePrincipal(String input, Boolean inpu...	 
01/29/2010 12:24:22.92*	w3wp.exe (0x1378)                       	0x1004	Windows SharePoint Services   	General                       	72e9	Medium  	...tIsEmailOnly, SPPrincipalType scopes, SPPrincipalSource sources, SPUserCollection usersContainer)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SPUtility.ResolvePrincipalInternal(SPWeb web, SPWebApplication webApp, Nullable`1 urlZone, String input, SPPrincipalType scopes, SPPrincipalSource sources, SPUserCollection usersContainer, Boolean inputIsEmailOnly, Boolean alwaysAddWindowsResolver).	 

Can you give me a hint what's going wrong? (Beside the resolving user issue)

Jan 29, 2010 at 12:58 PM

No idea on this one with the info you've provided.  Can you tell me more about how you are using the SPCascadeDropdowns function?

Feb 1, 2010 at 9:59 AM
Edited Feb 1, 2010 at 10:18 AM

SPServices 0.4.8 with jquery-1.3.2 delivers the same error message. The column "NameAndPosition" is a calculated column, which combines the columns "Last Name" and "Position" to a string.
This seems to be the issue. When I use the column "Last Name" instead of "NameAndPosition", the form saves just fine.

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="../../jQueryLibraries/jquery-1.4.1.js"></script>
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="../../jQueryLibraries/jquery.SPServices-0.5.0.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">

$(document).ready(function() {
relationShipWebURL: "/Contact",
relationshipList: "Contact",
relationshipListParentColumn: "Company",
relationshipListChildColumn: "NameAndPosition",
parentColumn: "Customer",
childColumn: "Conversational Partner",
debug: true

Feb 1, 2010 at 12:39 PM

The SPCascadeDropdown function is meant to be used to maintain a relationship between two columns which render as dropdowns.  If you're trying to use it with a Calculated column, then you're trying to force a value into a column for which SharePoint itself is calculating the value.

I don't think that I've tested a Lookup column which uses a Calculated column as its source. Is this what you are doing?

Feb 1, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Exactly. Thanks so far!

I'll try to use it without the calculated column. I would be happy if you could consider this case in a future release!

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:06 PM

I actually think that using a Calculated column as the source of a Lookup column is a bad idea for several reasons which I won't go into here, having to do with the updating logic. I'd suggest that you set the Conversational Partner column up as a Single line of text and then set up a simple SharePoint Designer-based workflow to populate it when an item is created or changed. This way, you accomplish both purposes.