Invalid postback or callback argument. Event validation is enabled.

Feb 3, 2010 at 2:57 AM

I have three lists defined that store the values required for my lookups.

Category List (col: Category (single line of text), Crt By, Mod By)
Area List(col: Area (single line of text), Category (lookup to Category list, Category col), Crt By, Mod By)
Sub-Area List (col: Sub-Area (single line of text), Parent (lookup to Area list, Area col), Crt By, Mod By)

I then have a final list which looks into all these columns, this list is called Suggestion Box. It has the following columns.

Category (required, lookup to Category:Category)
Area (not required, lookup to Area:Area)
Sub-Area (not required, lookup to Sub-Area:Sub-Area)
Suggestion (required, single line of text)
Category (required, multiple lines of text)
Crt By
Mod By

So I figured out what causes the "invalid postback or callback argument" error. If I switch the Area and Sub-Area columns to required and I leave them on "Choose ****", then when I try to navigate away from the page I get the error blasted across my screen. I don't know the technical reason why this is happening but I do know that switching those two columns to "not required" will make sure that there is no major freakout when I navigate away. If I have the columns on required but choose values from the lookups then there is no error at all.

Sorry this is late but I thought I should post it anyway just in case someone is experiencing something similar.

Coordinator
Feb 3, 2010 at 3:27 AM

Michael:

What version of the library are you using? I made a change in v0.4.8 so that the 'Choose ***' prompt won't be shown if the column is required.  The issue was caused by this artificial prompt with a zero value when the column was required.

M.

Feb 3, 2010 at 6:48 PM

I'm using v0.5.0 with jQuery 1.4. The difference might be that I'm entering into the list using a webpart on an unrelated webpage.

Coordinator
Feb 4, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Can you explain what you mean by "entering into the list using a webpart on an unrelated webpage"? So are you seeing the "Choose ****" prompt when the column is required?  If so, then the fix I put in place isn't working, meaning a bug.

M.

Feb 9, 2010 at 1:28 AM

Well I have a webpart on an aspx page that allows me to enter into the list. I'm not actually navigating to the list to enter the data.

Yes I am seeing the "Choose ****" prompt when the column is required. Which like you said means it's not working properly.

Coordinator
Feb 9, 2010 at 3:56 AM

Michael:

OK, let's call seeing the "Choose ****" prompt for a required column a bug, then, and I'll look at it.  If you could send me the list in question saved as a template, that would probably be of great help.  You wouldn't need to send any content along with it.

Thanks,
M.

Coordinator
Feb 9, 2010 at 3:58 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Feb 9, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Michael:

I've got a fix for this in v0.5.1ALPHA2.  My test to see if the column is required wasn't working properly, and it should be now.  I'd appreciate it if you could test it out. 

M.