Form Enhancements Suggestion: Search as you type Lookup

Feb 4, 2010 at 6:34 PM

I'm back to SharePoint and this library after getting called to a priorty web database project.  Nice progress.

I'm in need of a function that turns a single line of text form column into a search as you type lookup from another list.  I need it to display a filtered list of values from a specific column in a specific list and only allow values that exist in that list to be valid choices.  Would also need CAML filter options to further filter the list by other column choices on the form or hard-coded.

I was just going to adapt Jan Tielens QuickSearch to do this but I wanted to see if you were already working on something like this.

Toby

Coordinator
Feb 4, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Toby:

Nice to hear from you! I don't have anything analogous in the pipeline right now, but I'd love to see your code when you're done for possible inclusion. I've always meant this to turn into a community effort.

M.

Feb 4, 2010 at 7:28 PM
Edited Feb 4, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Yeah.  I was planning on contributing but just got a little waylaid.

I’ve already converted Jan’s code to work with a custom webmethod to query a database so it should be just as easy to query a list using your library.  I’ll get something started and post it for suggestions.

Toby

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Okay.  Got some code working for my purposes.  I followed your structure and conventions as closely as I could but didn't implement everything.  Let me know where you want me to post the code and I'll detail what's left to be done.

Toby

Coordinator
Feb 8, 2010 at 2:35 AM

Toby:

I sent you a message directly earlier today, and you can either reply to that or post your code here in the thread.  Looking forward to seeing it!

M.