Cascading Drop Downs on EditForm.aspx without SharePoint Designer?

Feb 15, 2010 at 9:16 PM

I'm sorry if this has been answered already, but I've searched for a while and I can't seem to find anything.

I'd love to implement a taxonomy on document attributes using the cascading drop down lists as described, but I do not have access to SharePoint Designer in my role. My company keeps that all locked down, so I need to be able to implement on my side without their involvement.. My challenge is figuring out where to put the code since I cannot edit the standard SharePoint new and edit forms for document properties.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would sincerely appreciate the guidance! Thanks!!

Coordinator
Feb 15, 2010 at 9:46 PM
Edited Feb 16, 2010 at 5:03 PM
You can put the code into Content Editor Web Parts. You'll just need to create a Document Library where you can put the .js files.
M.
Feb 16, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Does the CEWP need to be on the Edit or New form pages, or can it live anywhere in the site? I cannot add a CEWP to those forms.

Thanks,

Kevin

Coordinator
Feb 16, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Actually, Kevin, you *can* add CEWPs to the form pages.  You just need to use a little trick.  Just append "&ToolPaneView=2" to the URL, and you will have the form in Edit Mode in your browser.  From there, you can add any additional Web Parts you want!

M.

Feb 16, 2010 at 5:26 PM

I am in your debt - thanks so much!

Kevin

Coordinator
Feb 16, 2010 at 5:30 PM

No problem. Post back if you have further questions...

M.