Can you return a form with the WebPartPages webservice?

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:11 PM

I really like this library and have really been doing some neat things with it. One of the things that has been asked several times is can I create a popup form instead of navigating away from the page. I then wondered if I could use the WebPartPages webservice to return the form from the editform.aspx page into a popup window. I already have the permissions to display the button or link setup, but it would really be neat to get that to work. I really do not want to have to figure out how to draw the controls using just javascript. Any thoughts?!

Coordinator
Feb 20, 2010 at 3:18 AM

It certainly is an intriguing idea. I've had many applications where it would have been great to embed the "new" form for a list in another page. I'm don't believe the forms themselves are actually structured as web parts so I'm not sure that an implementation like that would work (easily). I'm not very familiar with the web part pages webservice, and Marc (the infamous mind behind the SPServices library) is currently away on vacation. This is a very interesting idea that I'll pass along to him for his return.

Mike

Feb 21, 2010 at 5:54 PM
After doing more research, I really think that I could pull this off in a couple of ways. The first thing that I would do is create a dataform webpart in Sharepoint Designer for a new and edit form. Each of these forms would then be exported so that I had the XML of the form. For one option, I could use the library to then add / remove these webparts from a page that the user is already on. Another option would be to also create a minimal master page and a webpart page with a single webpart zone that uses this master page. Maybe call them popup.master and popup.aspx respectively. Then I could also use this in a javascript event. Maybe on a click even it will use the webpart pages web service to add the edit or new form on the page and then return the form through the response object to the popup window. I really think that this can work and I am going to try to work on this on Monday.

On Feb 19, 2010, at 11:18 PM, webdes03 wrote:

It certainly is an intriguing idea. I've had many applications where it would have been great to embed the "new" form for a list in another page. I'm don't believe the forms themselves are actually structured as web parts so I'm not sure that an implementation like that would work (easily). I'm not very familiar with the web part pages webservice, and Marc (the infamous mind behind the SPServices library) is currently away on vacation. This is a very interesting idea that I'll pass along to him for his return.

Mike

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (SPServices@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email SPServices@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com