This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

SPCascadeDropdowns stop working after installing SHarePoint 2013 May 2015 CU


I have been using SPCascadeDropdowns for a while (Having SP 2013 RTM), once we start upgrading our servers to the latest CU(SP1+May 2015 CU), the SPCascadeDropdowns stop working, after further investigation, it turns out that the SP has changed the rendered DOM for the drop downs, so the library was not able to find the drop down to link to.

I have made a change in the function "SPDropdownCtl" to support the change for my case
else if ((columnObj.Obj = $("select[Title='" + opt.displayName + " Required Field']")).length === 1) {
            columnObj.Type = dropdownType.simple;
            //handle the case of 2013 after applying SP 1, where the title is changed fro required fields
the problem in the current implementation is that in case of required field, the code try to handle it by search for the ID of the select to start with the internal name of the field, this was recently changed to be in the format below, so the code don't find the drop down:

New ID Format:

Old ID FOrmat:

file attachments


sympmarc wrote Jun 24, 2015 at 3:42 PM

What version of SPServices are you using?


switter wrote Aug 31, 2015 at 2:28 PM

I am having the same issue. Cascade dropdowns are not working after installing the May 2015 CU

sympmarc wrote Sep 1, 2015 at 2:41 AM

SPServices 2014.02 ought to handle this for you.

nimesht wrote Sep 2, 2015 at 7:48 AM

Seen this on SharePoint 2010 also, it stops working if the field is marked as mandatory as the dropdown title changes to "FieldName Required Field" in DOM.

sympmarc wrote Sep 2, 2015 at 9:29 PM

Again, 2014.02 ought to handle this for you. If it doesn't, I'll need some more specifics in order to help you with it.


nimesht wrote Sep 5, 2015 at 8:47 AM

Not working with 2014.02 too.
Tried the fix mentioned above by peterriad and it's working

sympmarc wrote Sep 7, 2015 at 3:42 PM

If any of you who are having problems even using 2014.02 could send me what you get when you do a "View Source" on the form where you are having problems, that would help me to fix things. AFAIK, 2014.02 ought to address the " Required Field" changes already. The way I'm handling it in the code should also work if there are other languages present, i.e., " Required Field" isn't in English.


See this identical issues as well:

nimesht wrote Sep 9, 2015 at 8:05 PM

Check the attached image for view source for Category field used as parent field. Is this okay?

sympmarc wrote Sep 10, 2015 at 5:52 PM


What version of SPServices are you using? As I noted above, 2014.02 ought to handle this for you with no changes.


nimesht wrote Sep 26, 2015 at 6:05 PM

Earlier I was using old version, deployed on SharePoint 2007. It stopped working after upgrade to SharePoint 2010 so to test this issue I used 2014.02 and it did not work on it too. Further checking found that the issue was only occurring when field was marked as mandatory.

All this was before using this issue thread to report the issue.

shwag81 wrote Aug 23, 2016 at 1:52 AM

Also having this issue when a Lookup column is set to required in a custom form (i.e. DataFormWebPart). Using SharePoint 2010 with June 2016 CU (14.0.7170.5000) with SPServices 2014.02. Similar to the originally posted issue, the format for the control is as follows:

<select name="ctl00$m$g_1ff2b4ea_db9c_4af6_aa31_089f0f46b683$ff11$ctl00$Lookup" id="ctl00_m_g_1ff2b4ea_db9c_4af6_aa31_089f0f46b683_ff11_ctl00_Lookup" title="MyColumn Required Field">

i.e. the regex selector intended to handle this case does not find the column nor does the "Last ditch effort" because the DataFormWebPart xsl does not automatically add the comment that the findFormField function is searching for i.e.:
<!-- FieldName="MyColumn" .... -->.