General context for Cascading Dropdown

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:02 PM
Edited Feb 23, 2010 at 4:06 PM

Hello - I think I've worked myself into a confused state with the cascading dropdown so I want to make sure I'm trying to use this correctly.

I have document library with a Market column added as meta data.  I also have a relationship list that has Owner and Market as columns.

I would like to use the relationship list to filter the Market value options on the new/edit form for the document library based on the Owner -> Market parent/child relationship in the list. 

I can't tell if the cascading dropdown functoin is intended for list to list only or if it can be used as list to library.   Please advise.

Thanks - Paul

Coordinator
Feb 23, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Paul,

I believe what you're asking for should work. I can't say that I've ever personally used SPCascadeDropdowns on a document library, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. In you're using it to change dropdowns on the document library field then I think you're fine, but I don't believe you can pick a document library as the lookup source so you wouldn't be able to go the other way. Marc (the creator of SPServices) is on vacation and may be able to offer a better solution when he returns. I'll also give it a try in my dev environment if I get a chance.

Mike

Coordinator
Mar 1, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Paul:

I'm back from vacation and going back through things.  Did you get your cascading dropdowns working? If not, post back with your questions, and we'll get you up and running.

The fact that it is a Document Library won't be an issue. What's not clear to me is what type of column Owner might be.

M.