Was working great...

Apr 12, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Well the jquery implementation of a Year Events view planner worked a treat on the development machine, so I've taken the jscript and webpart onto the customer's system, added the required lists and get a fault.

I have a list named EventOrganisers, when I call:

	operation: 'GetListItems',
	listName: 'EventOrganisers',
	CAMLRowLimit: 1,
	completefunc: function(xData, Status) { $("#debugInfo").html("").append(xData.responseXML.xml); } 

I get the error message "soap:ServerException of type 'Microsoft.SharePoint.SoapServer.SoapServerException' was thrown.Guid should contain 32 digits with 4 dashes (xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx)."

All my usual debugging methods are drawing blanks - does anyone have any ideas on where I should be looking?


Apr 12, 2010 at 2:27 PM

That's probably indicating that the list 'EventOrganisers' doesn 't exist.  (I know that's pretty obvious, but check to be sure. Spelling counts!)


Apr 12, 2010 at 2:46 PM


Thanks for your rapid response - I did try some other Lists before posting - so I can see that the error usually applies to a mis-typed name - so I copied and pasted the exact text.

I've loaded up CAML Query builder and can see the list which lives at http://SERVER/events/Lists/EventOrganisers/AllItems.aspx

And the javascript on the page at http://SERVER/events/Shared%20Documents/eventsView.aspx runs fine except the SPServices stuff doesnt seem to find the lists.

Do I need to tell services that the list is in the Events website - as its all in the same site I didnt think it would.

I tested that SPServices is able to work with the server by getting the current user - and that works fine

Apr 12, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Open the site in SharePoint Designer and look at the list name there. If you renamed the list in the UI, then the StaticName may not match.  You can always specify the GUID instead.


Apr 12, 2010 at 3:23 PM

If I open the site http://SERVER/events in SharePoint Designer, I see all my lists under the Lists folder with their expected names, and my page with the jquery code webpart under Shared Documents.

So everything 'looks' as if its all healthy and behaving as expected.

Apr 12, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Did you try the list GUID?


Apr 12, 2010 at 3:40 PM

I did not as I am still learning SharePoint and SharePoint developer.  I've been hidden away from the deep workings of SP by this library of yours - which has helped rapid development - but is now scaring me!


Apr 12, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Yeah, this should be pretty straightforward.  Try the GUID, though to see if it works. You can grab it from the URL when you go into the List Settings. The documentation shows you what format it should be in.


Apr 12, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Looks like its obtainable using this technique: http://weblogs.asp.net/jimjackson/archive/2008/02/11/get-a-sharepoint-list-guid-from-the-browser.aspx

I'll be trying: {497A7F9B-A788-4893-8F82-052B252E6C4B} tomorrow

Apr 12, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Exactly. Let me know how it goes.


Apr 13, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Using GUIDs worked okay, we also changed the Account names that the services were running under as there seemed to be issues when restarting the server, the OfficeServerApplication Pool was running as a different user to the Pools...

Eitherway using GUIDs seems a better bet from my point of view as this Viewer is meant to use different lists for different views, so specifying a GUID rather than a List name is no problem.

Now we have a working Year View for the users to populate via a list - they don't like lists so are happy with this:


Thanks for the help, and also for the jquery library.

Apr 13, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Nice. Glad you got it working!

I'm still not sure why the list name wasn't working for you, but if you're happy with the GUID, I'm happy with the GUID.