Execute Web Service as Administrator

May 12, 2010 at 11:27 AM

There's a way to call a Web service as admin even if the logged user on the site is a "normal" user?

I need that an user is able to call GetUserCollectionFromGroup to retrieve email contacts but if i run this service as administrator it works, if i run it as a "normal" use it doesn't return anything.

Coordinator
May 12, 2010 at 12:53 PM
Edited May 12, 2010 at 3:29 PM

The Web Services only can take the current user’s permissions, unfortunately.  There’s no option to elevate or change the identity.

Can you explain what you are trying to accomplish from a user perspective? Maybe there's another option.

M.

May 12, 2010 at 1:12 PM

i need that an user can retrieve all email contacts of a specific group members (a group that he doesn't belongs) because he needs these contacts to send them an email.

Coordinator
May 12, 2010 at 4:01 PM

I didn't reply too quickly because I was trying to think of another alternative. I'm not sure that I can think of anything that will work and not have permission issues.

I'm not sure what type of UX you're thinking about for this, but what if you created links on the server side (you can elevate permissions there) to email the groups?  Or manage the group as a distribution list in Exchange that you just present instead?

M.

May 13, 2010 at 8:14 AM

i can't work in server side due to agency policy :(

Coordinator
May 13, 2010 at 1:26 PM

OK, well if you're trying to use the Web Services to get around the permissions, I don't think it'll work.  I was thinking more of SharePoint Designer-based stuff, though.  As for the distibution groups, they would need to be set up in Active Directory.

M.