Folders issue - with SPCascadedDropDown

Jun 18, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Hey Marc,

I have been using SPCascadedDropDown and it is working totally flawless. Recently, I am thinking to implement a folder based approach to keep up high performance even with 4000 data entries. So, I want you to suggest me a proper modification in SPCascadedDropDown to incorporate my requirement.

Here is the detailed explanation,

Suppose, I have top column named: Continent; Based on it, the next column: Country gets cascaded, and based on which the next column: City gets cascaded. Now, I have 4000 data entries and SharePoint lists starts to degrade on performance after 2000 entries. So, Now I want a folder for each Continent; That makes it 7 folders and data entries per folder reduced to around 600.

NOW, I want to implement both or either one of the following two functionalities:

• On entering a new item in List, the Item goes automatically to the correspoding folder based on the Continent selected.

• I would manually go inside the Folder and 'Add new Item'. In the Continent dropdown, it should show me only one value - "the continent name which is equal to the Folder name"

Guide me through this.

Jun 21, 2010 at 4:26 AM

First off, the '2000 item limit' is a bit of a SharePoint myth. What's more important is how many items you are retrieving in a view.  In this case, your 'view' will be limited by the filtering you do in the cascades.  I'd give it a try without the complexitied of folders and see how the performance stacks up.  If you have problems from there, post back, as I have some ideas obn how to make it work.

Jun 21, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I believe i should give it a try and avoid complexity until necessary.