SPCascadeDropdowns promptText problem

Oct 20, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Hi Guys,

I can't work out what I have done wrong -  yesterday the Choose {0}... was working but today I seem to have broken it.
The child dropdown now either appears as minimal width if no values available, or with the first value in the list automatically selected.

I made 2 changes:

• changed a field to Required, (but even changing it back to Optional has not fixed it...)
  • adding an extra SPCascadeDropdowns (and taking this back out has not fixed it).

The code I have is:

relationshipList: "{B00FBD58-1860-4C91-AD10-273E32146AD5}",
   relationshipListParentColumn: "Department_x002C_",
   relationshipListChildColumn: "Title",
   parentColumn: "Department",
   childColumn: "Authoriser",
   promptText: "Choose {0}...",
   CAMLQuery: "<Eq><FieldRef Name='Authoriser'/><Value Type='Integer'>1</Value></Eq>",
   debug: true

Any ideas greatully received....

Oct 20, 2010 at 11:23 AM
Edited Oct 21, 2010 at 11:21 AM

The promptText will only be shown if the childColumn (in the *current* list, not the relationshipList) is not required *and* the promptText value isn't empty. The only thing I can think of given what you've described is that the promptText option isn't being set. The most common reason for this is a mis-spelled option name, but if what you've posted above is what's in your page, then promptText is spelled correctly. 

The promptText idea was actually a bad one on my part because it gives the user an option they can select which is invalid and will throw an error. I'd recommend against using it, actually. I've left the workings there more for it to be backward compatible.

Oct 21, 2010 at 9:09 AM

Thanks. That helps me work out what's going on. :-)

I need it as a required field anyway, so I will have to find another way. Was hoping to make it behave like the parent column - ie start blank or with a prompt.

Thanks for your reply

Oct 21, 2010 at 11:22 AM
Great, Ruth. Let me know if you need any other help. M.