Cascade Dropdown: Show All?

Nov 19, 2010 at 3:31 PM
Edited Nov 19, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Marc,

First off, thanks for the jQ library. One thing I can't figure out how to do is to have an option to show all items in the parent choice of the cascading dropdowns. Is it possible, and if so, how?

Coordinator
Nov 19, 2010 at 3:35 PM

I'm not sure what you mean. All of the options in the parent dropdown should stay as is; only the child column is changed.

M.

Nov 19, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Sorry it isn't more clear. I'll give an example. Say my form is trying to find out users favorite forms of recreation. The child option can be multi-values.

Parent list has: Outdoor Sports and Indoor Sports

and

the Child list has: (for the outdoor) Biking, Rock Climbing, Kayaking and (for the Indoor) Bowling, Billiards, and Video Games.

If a person wants to pick Biking and Billiards, they'll choose Outdoor Sports from the parent list, then choose biking from the Child list. Then they'll switch to Indoor Sports for the Parent so they can choose Billiards, but lo and behold, biking is zapped. Maybe I didn't set something up right, but I can't get the child choices to stick when changing the parent, so an easy User Experience option would be to show "All" in the Parent list choices. The only other thing I can think of is to make the Parent list multi-choice as well, but I haven't tried it yet.

Please let me know if it is still not clear. Thanks!

Coordinator
Nov 19, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Yeah, that's not really the use case I've built for, and it's not going to give you much benefit, either, since any value can be saved in the child column. The whole point here is to filter the available child options based on the parent selection.

M.