Autocomplete for Drop Downs?

Nov 29, 2010 at 8:45 PM

I like the AutoComplete function that's already available, but it's restricted to a single line of text.  Are you planning to include drop-downs as well?  Or if you could add a validation option to AutoComplete that looked at the list and if it's not there, do *not* accept the user input.  That's really the only reason I'd like to have AutoComplete working on a drop-down; it's to ensure the data being typed.

Nov 29, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Actually, few people realize it, but dropdowns in SharePoint with 20+ options already have a sort of autocomplete implemented. Try it, and you'll see that the options listed filter based on what you've typed in the input.

For dropdowns with <20 options, it's just a plain old select. I guess that at some point long ago, someone at Microsoft decided that 20 was a magic number.

Nov 29, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Well, well, well... Look at that.  Nice tip!  I never noticed it b/c I primarily use Chrome.  For IE, that's a nice feature though.

Nov 30, 2010 at 3:09 AM

Touché. Yes, this only happens in IE. 2007 does a binary check: IE or not IE.

I almost always use IE primarily because it's what the majority of SharePoint users have and I want to be sure to expereince anything I build as they will see it. That said, I test SPServices with all the biggies.