CreateNewItem only submits for some users, permissions are ok

Feb 1, 2011 at 3:43 PM

So I have my form, which does work for most people, and I have my permissions set to all authenticated users > Contribute. The page is located in the same domain as my SP list. Yet only about 75% of my user submissions go through.

function CreateNewItem(wednesday, friday) {
                 operation: "UpdateListItems",
                 async: false,
                 batchCmd: "New",
                 webURL: "http://xx/sites/TD/CE",
                 listName: "Break-Out-Sessions",
                 valuepairs: [["Wednesday", wednesday], ["Friday", friday]],
                 completefunc: function(xData, Status) {
         //SP Services Method
             $(document).ready(function() {
                 $("#newTaskButton").click(function() {
                     if ($("#wednesdayInput :selected").text()=="Please Select" || $("#fridayInput :selected").text()=="Please Select"){
            alert('Please choose 2 break-out activities.');
            var wednesday = $("#wednesdayInput :selected").text();
                     var friday = $("#fridayInput :selected").text();
                     document.getElementById('responseTop').innerHTML = "<p>Thank you for your submission!</p>";
                     CreateNewItem(wednesday, friday);

Any thoughts on why only some submissions go through? This is baffling me because I copied this script verbatim before alterations and I had 100% submission acceptance.

Feb 2, 2011 at 2:05 AM

It's a little tough for me to descipher what you are trying to do here. Can you post a little more about how you want it to work as well as a screenshot?

Feb 2, 2011 at 6:58 AM

First off, add code to completefunc so that it cache the response (xData, Status) and let you check it out on demand. And I believe the "thanks" should also belong in the conditional branch where Status is Success.

Feb 3, 2011 at 7:58 PM

First off, thanks to you both for helping.

ACrush, this will sound dumb but is this url appropriate for how to get the xdata response in my cache:

Past the logic error, it is a browser issue: one user used our virtual machine running IE6 and the submission did not add a list item. The she ran the VM in IE7 and it worked. Same was observed with non-VM users. Some setting, which I dont know affects IE6 submissions, but everyone with IE7 or 8 was fine. Is SP Services not fully functional with certain browser settings in IE6? Probably security?

Feb 7, 2011 at 4:12 AM

ACrush is right that you should inspect what's coming back in the completefunc to help debug this. Something like this as a start:

completefunc: function(xData, Status) {

That'll give you an alert which shows you the returned XML, and you may be able to spot what's going south on you.