The status object

May 14, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Hello all

Quick question here: what are the member properties of the status object that is passed to the method associated with the completefunc property.

I have looked through the documentation and the discussion boards but have been unable to find any information on it. Would love some insight on it.

May 14, 2011 at 10:16 PM
Generally you will receive either "success" or "error". However, even if the status is "success", you'll want to check the XML returned to ensure that your call has, in fact, accomplished what you intended.

May 15, 2011 at 7:51 AM

Thanks for you quick reply. I have a follow up:

What constitutes "success" or "error"? Is it set to "success" if it gets a reply back from the server or does it something more intelligent?

May 15, 2011 at 12:24 PM

What I've experienced is you'll get success if you pass in valid CAML, no matter what.  If the values within your CAML are invalid, you'll get Status=success, but get a faultcode within your xData.  On top of that, (Marc, correct me if I'm wrong) each web service acts differently.  So there's not a foolproof way of checking for errors.

May 15, 2011 at 4:18 PM

The Status seems to be more of an indication whether the AJAX call was successful than whether the Web Service call was successful. Due to the *incredible* inconsistencies with the Web Services responses (every operation has some uniqueness), you'll need to decide how to check for an "error" in your particular case and what to do about it. Remember that I'm just making it easier to call the Web Services; the Web Services and all their idiosyncrasies belong to Microsoft.