Adding a service?

May 24, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Hello,

I found the project, and it nearly fits what I need, but it doesn't map some of the services I need(BPOS, so sharepoint 2007).

Can I have some advices on how to add them (and most likely where to add them)?

Many thanks in advance.

Coordinator
May 24, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Odds are if you want them, they will be useful for others. Which services are you looking for?

M.

May 24, 2011 at 2:12 PM

After taking a good look and comparisons on what sharepoint online can offer, finaly I don't find so much to add, but still.

Using SharePoint Online, I don't have much choices but to go to client side scripts, and basically I will need to work with lists and files.

I didn't find how to read documents for example, or how to copy it into local disk for example.

If I was not on this limited version, I would also ask for the Excel service, because the possibilities with it are really great, so it could help some other people.

Again, I only use your solution since this yesterday, so I might not have seen what I seek even if it is already inside, forgive me if it is the case.

But for now, it seems to fit my needs quite well, so thank you for all this hard work I just couldn't have done by myself.

Coordinator
May 24, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Let me know if you see any Web Services operations missing that you'd find helpful.

There is no Web Service to copy s document to a local disk; you'd just lick the link for that. Rwading documents in client side scripts doesn't seem like something you'd need to do, and I'm not aware of any mechanism for it.

Excel Services isn't a Web Service, but a SharePoint server capability.

M.

May 24, 2011 at 2:25 PM

In the developper guide for the Online version, Excel web service is said:

Excel Services Web Service

/_vti_bin/ExcelService.asmx

Provides methods to call the Microsoft Office Excel Services remotely or work as a callback for Web Parts

so I thought there could be a real service for that.

Coordinator
May 24, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Aha. Interesting. Can you shoot me the link to that doc?

M.

May 24, 2011 at 2:31 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=D007F35E-375C-4B11-BC40-BC9082BB224A&displaylang=en

But as the excel service itself is not available in Online, it doesn't contain a link or anything about it.

Coordinator
May 24, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Right. Since that Web Service isn't offered with BPOS, you can't use it! However, SPServices is an excellent tool for working with SharePoint in the cloud. I do all of my development for SPServices on a WSS multi-tenant instance hosted at FPWeb.

M.

May 26, 2011 at 4:04 PM

After an other look at what I need to do, I happen to need the DWS web service (Document WorkSpace) to create new document libraries and sub folders, and I didn't find the options for doing so in your documentation.

Maybe I am just not looking enought though, sorry if that's the case.

Coordinator
May 26, 2011 at 4:56 PM

You should be able to create new Document Libraries with AddList (I need to look at your other issue with this) and create folders within them using UpdateListItems. both of those are operations in the Lists Web Service.

The DWS Web Service allows you to work with Document Workspaces, which are sites (or webs -- Microsoft isn't consistent with the terminology).

Let me know if there's something that those don't cover for you. Keep in mind that the actual documentation for each Web Service operation is in the SDK on MSDN; I just provide links to those pages.

M.