Feature Request

Sep 8, 2011 at 1:59 AM

Marc I was wondering if I could put in a feature request in the SPServices library.  It would be a form option that would flip flop the layout of the input field and description field.  My thought would be that the function would simply ask for the display name of the field that you want to alternate the positioning.  If you want to give it a completefunc, that would be ok, because I could see it used in conjunction with SPArrangeChoices.

The basis of this is that often field descriptions might be asking a question of the user (think yes/no choice fields and check boxes) and it makes more sense to have the description before the input field.

Seem like a valid/worthy addition to the library?

Sep 8, 2011 at 11:13 AM

I think this is an interesting idea. I do see some useful applications for it. Though I would wonder if it would not be easier to just design a new form that already does this. Just weighing the odds out! If you are in a situation where you could not alter/create a form then it would definitely be useful! Just my 2 cents!

Sep 8, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Exactly Dan.  I know it can easily be done in a custom form, but if people can't or prefer not to go down that SPD road, I think it would be helpful and useful addition to the library.

Sep 8, 2011 at 7:51 PM

I've tried to avoid adding functions which aren't Web Services oriented. It's both to try to stay on focus as well as you try to keep the size down. This probably isn't a very difficult function to write. Have you got it done yet? ;-)

Sep 9, 2011 at 12:28 PM
Edited Sep 9, 2011 at 12:44 PM

I understand your stance there.  No, I haven't.  I can't conceptualize the code on how to flip flop the html.

Sep 9, 2011 at 5:55 PM

What! I can see the code swimming in my head on how to do that :) Easier if you want to swap all the fields and descriptions but slightly hard if you want to be more specific.

Sep 9, 2011 at 6:08 PM

That would be the idea, just switch them around.  I'm not that avid code monkey like you Dan ;-)