Feature idea

Sep 30, 2011 at 5:11 PM

SPUpdateMultipleListItems is cool, and it got me thinking about a feature that would be really useful, namely cascading updates and deletes.  In my particular case, I've got four lists linked together and I'd love to be able to delete an item from one of those lists and have it's child items in other lists deleted as well.  I'm not sure how you'd go about doing this, but it close the gap a little between SharePoint and a real database system.

Sep 30, 2011 at 9:38 PM

If you are using SP2010, it'll do this out of the box.

Sep 30, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Ah, the promised land of SP2010.  I wish my company would just freakin' implement it already.

Okay, since this is the case, never mind.  I'll make do until they get their act together here.

Oct 1, 2011 at 9:01 PM

It's an interesting idea, and I've given some thought to it. I think that the trick would be to come up with something generalized enough to work in most cases. I'm certain that you could build some script to do what you need for 2007 using SPServices, though.

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Yeah, I ended up using a bunch of loops with calls to GetListItems to get the ids and then a bunch of loops with calls to SPUpdateMultipleListItems to delete them.  Took forever, but not nearly as long as looking up and deleting hundreds and hundreds of items manually.

Thanks again for an extremely useful library.