Documents and Meta Data

Nov 14, 2011 at 2:16 PM
Edited Nov 14, 2011 at 2:31 PM

We use SP to manage our projects.  I have a project list, and several other related lists (milestones, notes, documents, etc...).  Everything is tied together through the ProjectID (##-###-##) using lookup in related lists...including the document library (one big doc lib for all projects). 

I have automated the projectID lookup for all the related lists so that new item's projectID field is populated using the querystring. 

Question:  Can I do anything like this for uploading docs?  Or when I create new doc from content type (from template in site)...can I have the metadata pre-populated?  

p.s. - I considered having a separate doc lib for each project (doc lib name would be the ProjectID)...but I couldn't figure out how to create doc lib with workflow (when new project is created).   Also, I have used Access with linked tables to manipulate doc metadata, but am trying to get all these functions into the browser. 

Forgot to say...we are using MOSS 2007.

Nov 15, 2011 at 9:47 AM

You can pass the projectID on the Query String, as you are already doing. The trick is that you need to pass it so that it sticks around as the user goes through Upload.aspx to EditForm.aspx. I have a blog series that shows something similar:

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Thanks, Marc.   I'll have to look at your blog when I get home from work...our network nazis have your site blocked /8-( .