"About Me" information from a web service

Jan 6, 2012 at 9:29 PM

I am pulling my hair out trying to find a web service that will return the "About Me" information for users and groups. I have found that at least for users, this is called the "Notes" field and I can get this data by querying the User Information List. However comma I am unable to get to this field or determine if it is the same for groups. I need this information because we have found a disparity between the "Description" field and the "About Me" field.

Coordinator
Jan 9, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Users are different beasties than groups, and are stored differently. Can you explain a bit more about what you are trying to do? Have you looked at the UserGroup.GetGroupInfo Method?

M.

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:35 PM
I may have missed that one but should be easy to test. I will do that and then go into more datail.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 9, 2012, at 9:31 AM, "sympmarc"<notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Users are different beasties than groups, and are stored differently. Can you explain a bit more about what you are trying to do? Have you looked at the UserGroup.GetGroupInfo Method?

M.

Jan 11, 2012 at 5:25 PM
This actually was tested but that service does not return the "About Me" field. I am not seeing one that does! :(

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 9, 2012, at 9:31 AM, "sympmarc"<notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

M.

Coordinator
Jan 11, 2012 at 9:07 PM

SPGetCurrentUser will grab the Notes (About Me) value for you. Will that work?

M.

Jan 11, 2012 at 9:18 PM
Works great on users but we need that field for groups. Could we do something similar for groups?

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 11, 2012, at 4:07 PM, "sympmarc"<notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

SPGetCurrentUser will grab the Notes (About Me) value for you. Will that work?

M.

Coordinator
Jan 13, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I don't think I see anything. It's interesting that there's an About Me field for a group though. I wonder if it's in the User Information List somewhere?

M.

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I think we have found the right answer to this but it requires running a few requests. We are getting the groups based on the user and then passing the group id into another request to get the about me. It seems to work fine. So it is in the User Information List but you have to pass the ID of the group.

Sent: Friday, January 13, 2012 10:36 AM
To: evilgenius@cox.net
Subject: Re: "About Me" information from a web service [SPServices:285271]

I don't think I see anything. It's interesting that there's an About Me field for a group though. I wonder if it's in the User Information List somewhere?

M.

Coordinator
Jan 17, 2012 at 2:32 PM

So the groups are stored in the User Information List. My guess is that they are simply a different Content Type?

M.

Jan 17, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Yes, that is a true statement. The groups have a different Content Type and are fairly easy to get once you get through all the hoops!

Jun 14, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Sorry to bump this post, but I have the same problem see My Post.

Can you explain with code samples how you did this?

Kind Regards,
Benno
Jun 14, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Hi Benno,

I've put a post up on your other posting, with what I hope will be an answer for you...