Create Site-Collections

Feb 8, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I know, that I can use th Meeting-Services to create new sites within a site-collection. Is there also any way to create a new site-collection using some kind of web-service call?

Feb 8, 2012 at 2:02 PM

No, there's nothing exposed in the Web Services to create Site Collections. I actually think that makes sense, as it's typically an admin function.

Feb 8, 2012 at 2:06 PM

OK; but I was thinking about providing a way for users to request site-collections and I thought to have a simple button, which can be pressed by an admin to create such a requested site. Without have to go to central-admin an manually creating the site. I have created something similar for websites using these webservices (having an infopath-form for the site-request) and this works like a charm :)

Feb 8, 2012 at 2:09 PM

I saw a post the other say about using jQuery to perform admin tasks that you might want to track down. But if all you're trying to do is make it so that the admin doesn't need to go to Central Admin, is it really worth it?

Feb 8, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I was thinking about something similar to what Laura Rogers did at

Feb 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM

That post is using the same web service that you described above.  To create a site collection, you have to use Central Admin (currently)... If you need to provision a web, Client OM (2010 only) is your friend there.  I even have some code to do it. ;-)