$().SPServices.SPDisplayRelatedInfo vs SPD Parent-Child

Feb 15, 2012 at 3:43 AM

Hi Marc, nice work!! BTW, are you sure you're not cloned??  Firstly. I apologize if this exact topic has previously been discussed.

This looks real slick and have a question about the applicability of $().SPServices.SPDisplayRelatedInfo similar to working item 263834 where the individual was displaying related documents.

I want to do precisely that: I have a contacts list and want to display all documents from a specific document library related to that user. Essentially a parent-child relationship.

As I understand from your description, you must employ a lookup list for this to work? If so, perhaps a little SharePoint trickery where a lookup field could be used in the contacts list to lookup on itself but use some jQuery to assign the current contactID? In the document list I would also employ your jquery solution to provide an "Add New User" with the Contact lookup field. How stuff like that was never included OOTB is beyond me, but I digress.

Bottom line, I just wanted to hear it from the proverbial horse's mouth and seek your opinion on the applicability of $().SPServices.SPDisplayRelatedInfo with maybe 25 documents per person versus the other technique of using SharePoint Designer to create the parent-child relationship as per Mark Rackley's blog on this subject. You know, the list with in a list form.

Thanks for your time and effort!

Cheers

Coordinator
Feb 15, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Carl:

Person or Group columns are somewhat unique. They are themselves "lookups" into the User Information List. But because they are displayed and edited differently that real lookup columns, SPDisplayRelatedInfo won't work with them. The function is also built to work on forms.

If you just want to display the documents created by a specific user, can't you just use a List View Web Part (LVWP) filtered for that user? If you need to do more than that, then I'd recommend a Data View Web Part (DVWP).

M.

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Thanks Marc, points taken.

Cheers

CW