SPCascadeDropdowns stop working on 1 out of 5 options

Mar 1, 2012 at 9:42 PM

I'm suddenly having a strange problem. SPCascadeDropdowns was working beautifully, but suddenly has stopped working on on of the five options in the parent list. If a user selects any of the other four options, the other dropdown will populate with the appropriate options, but that one option just doesn't work now. Debug is set to true, but I'm not getting any messages.

Does anyone have any clue what's going on?

Thanks,

Carlos

Coordinator
Mar 1, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Carlos:

Can you share more of the specifics? What are the values, for instance? Are there any special characters? Has the underlying lists changed in some way? What does your code look like?

M.

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:21 PM

The values in the parent dropdown are Customer Service, Data Center, Fulfillment Center, Office, and Retail Store. The option that's broken is Fulfillment Center. There are way too many options to list in the second dropdown, but most of the are three letters and a number, like ABC1, but some of them are words or phrases. Some of the site names have hyphens and parentheses in them, but a lot of those sites appear in the dropdown. About the only thing I can think of that's unusual about the option that's having problems is that it's the one with the most items, 108 to be exact.

The code is below:

	$().SPServices.SPCascadeDropdowns({
		relationshipList: "Sites",
		relationshipListParentColumn: "FacilityType",
		relationshipListChildColumn: "Title",
		parentColumn: "Facility Type",
		childColumn: "Site",
		debug: true
	});

Coordinator
Mar 4, 2012 at 6:54 AM

Why don't you shorten the problematic value to see if that's the issue, just as a test? If the length turns out to be a problem, then I can look into what may be causing it.

The other thing to check is that the parent/child relationships in your Sites list are all correct.

M.

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:12 AM

I checked into shortening the list, but I couldn't do that significantly, since they're mostly active facilities, and might need to use the site at any time. I ended up upgrading to the latest version of SPServices and jQuery and that ended up taking care of the problem. I just had to do a couple tweaks here and there, mainly dropping in SPFilterNode where necessary, and now everything is working as it should again.

Anyway, I don't know why that got weird, but it looks like I'm back in business. Thanks again for such a useful library, Marc. I don't know what my life would be without it.

Coordinator
Mar 9, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Carlos:

I actually mean shortening the lenght of the text in the one item that was the proble, but I guess you got around the problem by upgrading. You should see much better performance as well.

I'm sure your life would be just fine without SPServices. ;+)

M.