Connecting together multiple lists on a new page

Mar 19, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I am working on project that involves about 7 or 8 lists that are linked together and i'm trying to figure out a good UI. I'm thinking that i could create a series of cascaded lookups using the SPFilterDropdown but i'm not sure what the limitations are. My structure is as follows:

• Core Process
    • Subprocess
      • Training classes (several per subprocess
      • Managers (several per subprocess)
      • Procedures (several per subprocess
      • Metrics (several0
        • Targets (can have a new target each quarter)
          • Actual Measurement

Am I on the right track with SPFilterDropdown or is there another approach that i should use?

Mar 20, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Wouldn't you want to use SPCascadeDropdowns?

Mar 20, 2012 at 5:41 PM
sympmarc wrote:

Wouldn't you want to use SPCascadeDropdowns?

Marc, after rereading the documentation, i realize that i was looking at the wrong service. Can i use the SPCascadeDropdown for more than 2 levels of cascades?

Currently i have each list with one lookup field connected to its parent (standard highly normalized database design-because that is what i but my teeth on years ago). To implement the SPCascasdeDropdown do i need to denormalize my list structure? In SP2010, which one of the various forms/views would you recommend for this scenario?

Fyi, I get an invalid URL error message when i click on the New item in the Sales Opportunities list on your demo site

Do you have any plans to update your Unlocking the mysteries of the DWVP for SPD 2010? if so, i'll buy it.

Mar 21, 2012 at 12:47 PM

SPCascadeDropdowns requires the data in normalized tables as outlined in the docs. It also will work with as many levels as you want (I've tested up to 7), but there's obviously going to be a performance penalty.

I'll take a look at that page on my demo site. The ebook is as valid for 2010 as it is for 2007. The XSL which it describes is exactly the same in the two versions.