SPAutoComplete - Make the dialog go away on tab, enter, or clicking out of the area

Apr 16, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Hey Marc, first of all, thanks for all the work you've put into SPServices.  I've recently enabled the autocomplete function on several lists and I'm starting to get some feedback from my users. 

The 'problem' is that when the results return, they can't just hit 'Enter' to select what they've typed in the Title field.  They also can't tab to select the match, or even click away from the results list to keep the value they have in the box. 

Is it possible to implement any of these 'features' for my users?

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:38 AM
danielson1,
Case Marc does not get a chance to get to your request right a way, you may try to implement your own solution. Take a look into jQuery UI framework and specifically the autocomplete widget. It has all of the keyboard shortcuts you are asking for. I recently use it to implement my own PeoplePicker widget in SharePoint and it works great.

_____
Paul

Sent from mobile device.
Coordinator
Apr 17, 2012 at 1:08 PM
Edited Apr 17, 2012 at 1:09 PM

jQueryUI is indeed a much better autocomplete function. I built the one in SPServices to provide a simple one for those who didn't want to deal with multiple libraries and also to show one type of thing you can do with script and the Web Services.

If you can use jQueryUI, I'd do that; it's what I usually do.

M.