Implementing a multidirectional cascading dropdown

May 29, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Hello everyone,

I want to create a cascading dropdown in my list "Skills" that works on two ways:

1. Chose categorie in a first row and select the corresponding skill in a second row
2. Chose the skill first and select the corresponding categorie then

The first implementation is working, but I have problems implementing the second one.

Let me give you some background regarding my list structure:
List "Skills":
This is the list where I want to implement the dropdown effect. I implemented the two dropdowns "Categorie" and "Skill" here.
"Category" is a lookup to the list "Skill-Categories". "Skill" is a lookup to the list "Skill-Names".

List "Skill-Categories":
This is just a list of categories. Each category name is stored in the "Title" column. Beside there are no more columns.

List "Skill-Names":
This list contains two relevant columns. The skill-name is stored in the "Title" column. Beside there is a lookup column "Category" that references the "Skill-Category" list.

I realized my first implementation with the following lines of code:

<!--[CDATA[<mce:script _mce_src="/services/spm/SearchSites/spcd.js" type="text/javascript"></mce:script>
  	<mce:script type="text/javascript"><! 
var ccd1 = new cascadeDropdowns ("Skillkategorie", "Skill", "Kategorie", "Skills-Lookup", "Title");
// -->
<![CDATA[<script src="/services/spm/SearchSites/spcd.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
var ccd1 = new cascadeDropdowns("Skill-Categorie", "Skill", "Category", "Skill-Names", "Title");
</script>]]>

I would expect to realize my second implementation with the following lines of code:

<![CDATA[<script src="/services/spm/SearchSites/spcd.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
//var ccd1 = new cascadeDropdowns("Skill-Categorie", "Skill", "Categorie", "Skill-Names", "Title");

var ccd2 = new cascadeDropdowns("Skill", "Skill-Categorie", "Title", "Skill-Names", "Categorie");
</script>]]>

Does anyone have an idea why my second implementation is not working and how to solve the problem?

Indeed, thank you very much for helping me.

BR

Coordinator
May 30, 2012 at 4:26 AM

BR:

I don't think you're asking your question on the right Codeplex project. It looks like you are using the SharePoint Cascaded Lookups - JavaScript based script file, not SPServices.

M.