Cascading Dropdown with Managed Metadata Columns

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Is it possible to use SPSerivces to create cascading dropdowns with managed metadata columns instead of lookups?
Mar 15, 2013 at 1:22 AM
There are a lot of wrapped operations for managed metadata, unfortunately, not too many working examples... You may be able to take advantage of the operation: GetChildTermsInTerm, but I've never used this. I just tried briefly to create an example, but nothing good came from it except how to find the GUID for your term sets:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sharepointgeneralprevious/thread/63553372-b87f-4d69-8d4c-63fb8a7b3c6d
select ECMGroup.Name as GroupName , ECMTermSet.Name as TermSetName, ECMTermLabel.Label, ECMTerm.UniqueId
from dbo.ECMGroup

left outer join dbo.ECMTermSet on ECMGroup.Id = ECMTermSet.GroupId
left outer join dbo.ECMTermSetMembership on ECMTermSetMembership.TermSetId = ECMTermSet.Id
left outer join dbo.ECMTerm on ECMTerm.Id = ECMTermSetMembership.TermId 
left outer join dbo.ECMTermLabel on ECMTermLabel.TermId = ECMTerm.Id where ECMGroup.Type = 0

order by ECMTermSetMembership.Path
Don't tell anyone, but you'll have to run that query directly against the database... There are other ways to do this (think supported by Microsoft), but whatev... ;-)

Cheers,
Matthew
Mar 18, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Working with SharePoint hosted, so cannot run anything against the database unfortunately.
Coordinator
Mar 19, 2013 at 2:17 PM
The answer to the original question is "no". I haven't built that.

The TaxonomyClientService lets you work with the managed metadata service, but you must know the sharedServiceIds to get rolling with it, which is sort of stupid as there is no way to determine those GUIDs except from the server.

M.
Mar 19, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Thanks for the response Marc. Just wanted to make sure before I tried to build something myself. Thanks also for all the great JavaScript/jQuery info and your work on this library! It has been extremely helpful.
Coordinator
Mar 20, 2013 at 12:05 AM
If you come up with something that you feel would be useful for me to add into SPServices, please let me know!

M.