Problem using UpdateListItems

Jul 12, 2013 at 8:05 PM
I've used SPServices to query a list, create new list items, and grab attachments from an Announcement list but this is the first time I've used it to update a list.

jQuery: 1.7
SPServices: 0.7.1a
Permissions: double-checked

I've banged my head against this for a couple days and can. not. see. the problem. All I need to do is update the "Project_x0020_Stage" LOOKUP column. For the value, I also tried using a full lookup column value ("8;#Beer").
$().SPServices( {
    operation: "UpdateListItems",
    async: false,
    batchCmd: "Update",
    listName: "Project Milstones",
    ID: 63,
    valuepairs: [["Project_x0020_Stage", "8"]],
    completefunc: function(xData, Status) {
        console.log( $( xData.responseXML ) );
        alert("project updated");
The completefunc executes every time. That said, I'm not going to pretend I truly understand what's going on under the hood.

Thanks for your time.
Jul 12, 2013 at 8:18 PM
It sounds like you're trying the right things.

What does the response in xData.responseXML look like? It should be passing back the item as it looks after the update, or an error if there is a problem.

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:10 PM
Hi Marc,

Thanks for the quick response.

What does xData.responseXML look like? Good question. Updated the completefunc to this...
    $(xData.responseXML).SPFilterNode("z:row").each(function() {
However, I'm not sure this is correct. I'm not getting the alert and In IE9 debugger it says xData.responseXML is undefined. I'm half-noob so thanks for your patience.

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Try this instead:
Jul 12, 2013 at 9:20 PM
I originally hesitated to post this question because I knew it would end up being something ridiculous. Of course, I was right.

xData.responseText did the trick -- I can see the error. Bad list name.

Thanks again Marc. You rock.
Jul 13, 2013 at 3:42 AM
"Project Milstones" are much heavier than "Project Milestones"!

Thanks for the "you rock"age.