SPCascadeDropdowns Issue

Jul 22, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Edited Jul 22, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Hi,

I originally set up a form to use your SPFilterDropdown function on several Lookup columns that allow multiple selections and it worked perfectly. Then I got a requirement to filter those columns based on the value in another Choice column so I switched to SPCascadeDropdowns, which also works perfectly.

In the new configuration using SPCascadeDropdowns, the filtered list of values is slightly different than it was when I used the SPFilterDropdown based on the matching criteria.

My problem is that when users edit an item where a previously saved value from the SPFilterDropdown set is no longer in SPCascadeDropdowns set, the previous value is deleted because its not in the list to pick from.

Is there a way to prevent this from happening? (does it even make sense?)

Thanks!
Coordinator
Jul 23, 2013 at 3:54 AM
I think I follow you, and it sounds like it's the way it would work.

The function is sort of "dumb", in the sense that it doesn't know anything about values that once existed. Generally speaking, the types of lookup lists one uses for things like this are reference lists where one adds items, but rarely if ever deletes them. If a value has been deleted, then it is no longer valid in the cascade.

M.