Title Changed for Required Fields after CU for sharepoint 2010

Jan 31, 2014 at 4:20 PM
Edited Jan 31, 2014 at 4:43 PM
Title for required fields has been changed after updating SharePoint 2010 with latest CU. My custom code using SPServices is not working any more :(
Is any body else also facing the issue?
Coordinator
Jan 31, 2014 at 4:55 PM
Yes, I'm getting reports of this from others as well.

Can you tell me what sorts of things you're doing that are no longer working? SPServices function calls? Which ones?

Also, do you have your own custom scripts that are breaking? If so, can you tell me more about what you're doing?

I'm trying to give real examples to the SharePoint Product Group so that they can understand the effect of these changes.

M.
Jan 31, 2014 at 5:18 PM
Edited Jan 31, 2014 at 5:20 PM
My NewForm and EditForm contains required fields and I am performing some business validations on required field values.
i,e. value entered by user must meet some conditions. I am using getListItems function of SPservices. to get the values and validate it. now for all the required fields I am getting JavaScript 'Undefined' error.

I was reading the discussion :
http://sympmarc.com/2014/01/23/office-365-update-changes-display-name-on-required-fields/
I think Brandon Anderson suggestion in the discussion will help. we just need to place this code in the beginning of every custom script file

$( “select[Title$=' Required Field']” ).each(function(){
$(this).attr(“Title”, $(this).split(” Required Field”)[0]);
});
Coordinator
Jan 31, 2014 at 5:22 PM
What you'd be doing with Brandon's code is changing the title in each of the elements, so it's a bit of a band aid.

It would be better to come up with better selectors for those column types.

I'm testing what I'm going to have in 2014.01 and will have it up for you to try soon.

M.
Coordinator
Feb 4, 2014 at 3:14 PM
Can you try the latest alpha?
https://spservices.codeplex.com/releases/view/116626

It's got a fix for the Office365 " Required Field" issue.

Can you please post the markup for your column in SharePoint 2010? I want to try to offer a fix there as well. If you could post the entire TD contents, that would be great.

Thanks,
M.
Feb 4, 2014 at 4:15 PM
Sorry Marc , I can not post the markup :(

I am using
  • SPCascadeDropdowns where parent column is required. after CU it is not working.
  • GetListItems based on the required field value. most of the time single line of text field value.
  • and I am using client side validations on required fields.
In all of the cases I have changed the title field in my code.

Thanks,
Harminder Singh
Coordinator
Feb 4, 2014 at 4:23 PM
Can you just poste the select element? Something like this:
<tr>
    <TD class=ms-formlabel vAlign=top width=190 noWrap>
        <H3 class=ms-standardheader>
            <NOBR>Navigation SubArea<SPAN class=ms-formvalidation title="This is a required field."> *</SPAN></NOBR>
        </H3>
    </TD>
    <TD class=ms-formbody vAlign=top>
        <!-- FieldName="Navigation SubArea"
             FieldInternalName="Navigation_x0020_SubArea"
             FieldType="SPFieldLookup"
          -->
        <SPAN>
            <SELECT id=ctl00_m_g_7c7eee5f_b3a1_4523_b1cd_cf1c7cba457f_ctl00_ctl05_ctl01_ctl00_ctl00_ctl04_ctl00_Lookup title="Navigation SubArea" name=ctl00$m$g_7c7eee5f_b3a1_4523_b1cd_cf1c7cba457f$ctl00$ctl05$ctl01$ctl00$ctl00$ctl04$ctl00$Lookup>
            </SELECT>
            <BR>
            </SPAN>
        </TD>
    </td>
</tr>
As you can see, I've removed the options.

I can't get a fix in unless I can see the markup from someone. I don't have a SharePoint 2010 environment running the CU.

M.
Feb 11, 2014 at 7:33 PM
I just installed the update on our Dev box. Here is what a required select now looks like:
<td width="190px" valign="top" class="ms-formlabel" >
    <H3 class="ms-standardheader">
        <nobr>Guideline<span class="ms-formvalidation"> *</span></nobr></H3>
</td>
<td valign="top" class="ms-formbody" >
    <span dir="none">
        <select name="ctl00$m$g_308135f8_3f59_4d67_b5f8_c26776c498b7$ff51$ctl00$Lookup" id="ctl00_m_g_308135f8_3f59_4d67_b5f8_c26776c498b7_ff51_ctl00_Lookup" title="Guideline Required Field">
        </select>
        <br/>
    </span>
</td>
I have not tested SPServices yet but have ran into issues with other plugins.
Coordinator
Feb 11, 2014 at 8:06 PM
Thanks a lot for posting this, wkmaylish. If only some sort of column identifier were present in the id. Argh!

The problem with doing a selector on title in this case is that most approaches will be too greedy where there are columns with similar names, such as "Guideline", "Guideline 2", etc. I'm loathe to use the <nobr> in my selector, but it may be the only option at this point.

Can you do me a favor and send me the markup for a "complex" dropdown? That's one where there are 20+ options. Rather than a select, you'll see an input element.

M.
Coordinator
Feb 11, 2014 at 11:12 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Feb 11, 2014 at 11:17 PM
Can you please try the alpha I just posted? 2014.01ALPHA4
https://spservices.codeplex.com/releases/view/116626

My hope is that it will work for you.

M.