Deprecated APIs in SharePoint 2013

Mar 31, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Should we, who use SPservices, be concerned at all with Microsoft recommending not to use either the ASMX web services in SharePoint 2013 (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/jj164060.aspx#DeprecatedAPIs) or the owssvr.dll (I used this one alot when doing InfoPath stuff) for development purposes?
Coordinator
Mar 31, 2014 at 1:48 PM
I would say "cautious". The SOAP Web Services are used by many parts of SharePoint still, with the most prominent being SharePoint Designer. That said, deprecated is deprecated. If you build your solutions with the data access separated out from the business logic, you should be able to replace the calls if and when it becomes necessary.

I am not aware of any specific timeframes for the SOAP services going away, and the Product Group would need to give us a good, long lead time because lots of code depends on it, SPServices or not.

All that said, if you are starting a new project on SharePoint 2013 of any significant size, you should be considering the app model.

M.
Coordinator
Mar 31, 2014 at 1:50 PM
p.s. There are many things you simply cannot do with REST yet, though CSOM may provide better coverage. If you are using SPServices for the operations which aren't available in REST or CSOM, obviously you'll want to continue doing so until there is a viable replacement.

M.