troubleshooting issue with SPServices / creating new list item

Apr 24, 2014 at 3:08 PM
Hi Everyone:

I am trying to troubleshoot and could use some help.
I am using the library to submit new items to a list, from an HTML form.
It's working for me, but not for my end users.

The list has contribute permissions for all authenticated users, and the parent site has read permissions for all authenticated users.

i've tried adding the user to a group, and giving that group Contribute permissions. No luck.

One thing I notice when I submit using this form is I get an informational alert "This page is accessing information that is not under its control. This poses a security risk. Do you want to continue?" I hit yes, and the code works (it submits to the list). Other users don't see this alert when they submit.

Could this be the issue?

Apr 25, 2014 at 1:04 AM
What browser are you using and what browser are they using?
Also, are you going cross-domain? (Sounds like it based on the warning message)
What errors are your users getting? (Check the console).


Paul T.

-- Sent from Mobile

Apr 25, 2014 at 1:01 PM
we are all using IE8.
I am going cross-domain, however that has not stopped myself & another user from submitting successfully.
There are no errors upon submission (the browser doesn't indicate an error).

For what it's worth, we are looking at the posibillity that an IE8 setting (or group policy) has been set to prevent the target users from performing the operation.
Apr 25, 2014 at 6:35 PM
Yeah, think you are on the right track. Do the others users see the browser prompt/message for going cross domain?
If remember correctly, if the user responds 'no' the first time, I thought that on subsequent visits they would not get the prompt and just decline to go cross domain. I think I replied to a similar post here on SPServices awhile back.


Paul T.

-- Sent from Mobile

Apr 28, 2014 at 4:08 PM
Edited Apr 28, 2014 at 4:09 PM
We've found the issue, and it isn't good.
The target users (who would need this functionality) are hosted in a Citrix environment on top of Windows 2008 R2.
When a user tries to submit, the call to SharePoint somehow gets blocked.
JQuery works in this environment, but a cross domain call to add to a SharePoint list does not.

Does anyone know a workaround so that SPServices will work when the client is in Citrix running on on top of Windows 2008 R2?
Note: I upgraded SPServices to 0.7.2 and jQuery to 1.10.1, but that didn't make a difference.
Apr 30, 2014 at 6:42 PM
I haven't run into this situation before. Many times the network topology gets in the way of successful Web Services calls.

I'd suggest looking at the traffic with Fiddler to see what hops things are taking. It may give you some hints.

May 6, 2014 at 3:44 PM
thanks for responding.
For what it's worth, I don't think the issue is exclusive to the SPServices library.
I was told to try a solution involving ASP & a SQL Server database, While that worked, I tried to use an AJAX call instead of doing ASP form submissions. The AJAX call worked from my desktop, but in the Citrix environmnent it's not working.