SPServices.SPFindPeoplePicker - missing something obvious.

Jan 15, 2015 at 7:28 PM
I am using SPFindPeoplePicker to default a picker to the logged in user name. However, it doesn't work and I am not sure why. I fear I am missing something obvious.

Here is my code:
<script type="text/javascript" src="//code.jquery.com/jquery-1.11.2.js" language="javascript"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="//cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/jquery.SPServices/2014.02/jquery.SPServices.js" language="javascript"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript">
$(document).ready(function() {
    peoplePickerDisplayName: "Created By",
    valueToSet: $().SPServices.SPGetCurrentUser(),
    checkNames: true
The GetCurrentUser() works fine. But nothing shows up in the picker when the page loads.

I am pretty sure I have the Display Name right - this is where I got it:

That's all I did - need I do more? Ideas on where to look? There are no errors, the field just doesn't fill.

Jan 15, 2015 at 7:58 PM
So this is a column that you have created called Created By, correct? You can't set the real Created By (Author) column.

Assuming that, can you show a screenshot of the field in the form instead?

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:05 PM
No, this is the real Created By (Author) column. That would explain a lot.

Did I mention I am not a SharePoint expert?

Anyway, can I add a field in the list that will show as a people picker? I am assuming so, since you asked me about it.

Lemme try that and get back to you.

Thanks a lot.

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:10 PM
You can't set Created By or Modified By (or Create or Modified), as that would violate the integrity and attribution of the data.

Yes, you can add columns to your list. Created By is always going to be the current user, though. You don't need to do that; SharePoint does it for you.

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:14 PM
Ooooooh, so if I have a requirement to show who filled out the form, I can just use that field? That's awesome. My requirement is to add requested name and phone number. I guess I should have been able to figure that out. Sheesh.

Any easy way to get the phone number from AD? I probably should ask, in case AD is out of date.

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:17 PM
I discourage trying to store the user's User Profile data (like phone) in lists unless you need it as it was when the litem was created. If you need it, you can always click on the user's name and go to their profile. That ensures you're getting the current data.

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:23 PM
Fantastic. I'll give that a try.

Thanks a lot for the advice! Remind me to buy you a beer if we are at the same conference sometime.