Unable to retrieve the contents of a multi-line text field (after changing column settings)

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:28 AM
Edited Mar 3, 2015 at 6:01 PM
I made an adjustment to a list's column settings (append changes to existing text) and now I am unable to retrieve the contents of the multi-line text fields. The funny thing is, I am still able to retrieve the contents of the column fields that I created prior to adjusting the column's settings.
Here's my code:

function displayListData() {
    $().SPServices({
        operation: "GetListItems",
        async: false,
        listName: "Marketing Codes Requests",
        CAMLViewFields: "<ViewFields>" + 
                        "<FieldRef Name='ID'/>" + 
                        "<FieldRef Name='New_x0020_Marketing_x0020_Code'/>" + 
                        "<FieldRef Name='Lifecycle_x0020_Phase'/>" + 
                        "<FieldRef Name='MC_x0020_Req_x0020_Status'/>" +
                        "<FieldRef Name='Created'/>" +
                        "<FieldRef Name='Author'/>" +
                        "<FieldRef Name='Description'/>" + 
                        "</ViewFields>",
        completefunc: function (xData, Status) {
            $(xData.responseXML).SPFilterNode("z:row").each(function () {
                var listId = $(this).attr("ows_ID"),
                    listMktgCode = $(this).attr("ows_New_x0020_Marketing_x0020_Code"),
                    listLifecyclePhase = $(this).attr("ows_Lifecycle_x0020_Phase"),
                    listMCReqStatus = $(this).attr("ows_MC_x0020_Req_x0020_Status"),
                    listDateCreated = $(this).attr("ows_Created"),
                    listRequester = $(this).attr("ows_Author").replace(/[0-9,\W]/g, ' '),
                    listDescription = $(this).attr("ows_Description");
                $("#mcr_datatable > tbody").append(
                    "<tr class='table_row'>" +
                        "<td class='tbl_id'>" + listId + "</td>" +
                        "<td class='tbl_mktg_code'>" + listMktgCode + "</td>" +
                        "<td class='tbl_lifecycle_phase'>" + listLifecyclePhase + "</td>" +
                        "<td class='tbl_mc_req_status'>" + listMCReqStatus + "</td>" +
                        "<td class='tbl_date_created'>" + listDateCreated + "</td>" +
                        "<td class='tbl_requester'>" + listRequester + "</td>" +
                        "<td class='tbl_description'>" + listDescription + "</td>" +
                        "<td class='table_buttons'>" +
                                    "<button id='history' class='pure-button'>" +
                                        "<i class='fa fa-history'></i> History</a>" +
                                    "<button id='edit' class='pure-button'>" +
                                        "<i class='fa fa-edit'></i> Edit</button>" +
                                "</td>" +
                                "</tr>"
                    );
            });
            $("#mcr_datatable").DataTable();
        }
    });
}
Any assistance with this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone! :)
Coordinator
Mar 3, 2015 at 2:23 PM
Which column is the problem? Since New_x0020_Marketing_x0020_Code is a pretty long name, make sure you've got the StaticName correct. It might be New_x0020_Marketing_x0020_Cod0 or something.

M.
Mar 3, 2015 at 6:17 PM
Thank you for your response. I apologize for the confusion. The name of the column that I'm having difficulty with is "Description". It is a multi-line text field, the ability to add rich text is disabled and "append changes to existing text" is enabled. It's strange, I was able to retrieve the contents of the text fields prior to enabling the "append changes to existing text" setting. I am still able to retrieve the contents of the column fields for the rows that I have not edited since enabling the "append changes to existing text" setting. I wish I could figure this one out. When using the "append changes to existing text" setting does the data in the text field get indexed with each edit? Would I then have to include the array index with the column name? Example: var listDescription = $(this[index_number]).attr("ows_Description");
Coordinator
Mar 3, 2015 at 7:33 PM
The append changes setting uses versioning to store the values. (You would have had to turn that on, too.) That shouldn't have any effect on retrieval.

Have you tried inspecting the response from the server? There may be messages there that can help figure out what's happening.

M.