Does SPServices require an Internet Connection?

Mar 9, 2015 at 6:49 PM
Hello,
 My company is operating Microsoft SharePoint on an intranet, and only IT folks have access to SharePoint Designer.  As the 'administrator' for my groups SharePoint page, there are a lot of features of SPServices that I would like to use; however, I can't seem to get it to function on our server.  I have followed all of the tutorials to use SPServices features in a Content Editor Web Part, but I can only get it to recognize jQuery using the little script Marc provided to ensure the libraries are being located.  Both jQuery and SPServices are housed locally on our SharePoint page.
 Any help would be appreciated.
       Jeff
Coordinator
Mar 9, 2015 at 7:29 PM
No, there's no need to be connected to the Internet if you are hosting the files locally. (There's no "phone home" or anything in SPServices.)

My guess is that you just have the src path working in the script reference.

M.
Mar 9, 2015 at 9:22 PM
Hi Marc,
  I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by "you just have the src path working in the script reference."  Could you elaborate a little bit further?  I also was taking a look at the SPServices code and noticed a number of what appear to be calls to Microsoft websites.  If Sharepoint is on an internal server, could those addresses all be different for me?  Might I have to change to those links to wherever they are housed on our servers for your code to work?
  Thanks for your help,
        Jeff
Coordinator
Mar 9, 2015 at 9:28 PM
Those "Microsoft wesites" are just namespaces; there are no calls out to any other sites.

What I mean by the src path is that you have to have a good reference to the local copies of the jQuery and SPServices .js files. Take a look at the General Instructions section of the documentation.

M.
Mar 9, 2015 at 9:38 PM
Hi Marc,
  I used the directions from your [blog post](http://sympmarc.com/2011/07/08/adding-jqueryspservices-to-a-sharepoint-page-step-one-always/) about making sure the references are good; however, it only seems to recognize jQuery.  Both libraries are saved in the same place, and I used copy and paste on the path names to make sure the spelling was exactly the same.  For some reason, it doesn't want to let SPServices work.  Could my IT department have disabled add-ons somehow?
        Jeff
Coordinator
Mar 9, 2015 at 9:44 PM
If you can load jQuery, then you should be able to load SPServices as well. Spelling mistake? Can you post your references here?

M.
Mar 9, 2015 at 9:54 PM
Hi Marc,
 Unfortunately, I can't copy anything over to the internet as the networks are disconnected, so I would just be typing it in again, which could potentially lead to different entries.  I can report though, that I decided to delete everything and re-enter the source references and the test calls, and they are now functioning.  I must have had a character entered incorrectly or some type hidden character messing things up.  Sorry for the inconvenience.  Now I have to see if I can get the real code working!
   Thanks again for your help,
         Jeff
Coordinator
Mar 9, 2015 at 10:04 PM
Glad to hear you got it working!

M.