SPCascadeDropdowns not working with SP2010

Sep 7 at 10:45 PM
Hi everyone, I've used SPCascadeDropdowns successfully in the past in SharePoint Online and am now trying to use it for a project in SharePoint 2010. I believe I have set up my lists and the call to SPCascadeDropdowns correctly but the childColumn doesn't have any choices in it. Here is what I have set up:

A list called "Facilities" that holds facility names.
A list called "Areas" that has a "Facility" column that looks up to the Facilities list and I've renamed the Title column to "Area"
A list called "WorkGroups" that has a Facility column that looks up to the Facility list and a field called Area that looks up to the Area column in the Areas list.

I'm trying to cascade the Facility -> Area relationship in the WorkGroups list.

Here is the code I'm using on the NewItem form of the WorkGroups list:
$(document).ready(function() {
  $().SPServices.SPCascadeDropdowns({
    relationshipList: "Areas",
    relationshipListParentColumn: "Facility",
    relationshipListChildColumn: "Title",
    parentColumn: "Facility",
    childColumn: "Area",
    promptText: "Select an Area",
    debug: true
  });
});
I added the prompText just to make sure SPCascadeDropdowns was actually being called. The end result is that when I pick a Facility I don't have any options in the Area dropdown, all I see is the promptText.

Am I doing something obviously wrong? Do I have to do things different in SP2010 than SharePoint Online? I've tested this with IE11, IE 8, and the latest version of Chrome.

One final note, it looks like the Dev server I'm working on is only patched up to the December 2014 CU, would that make a difference?

Thanks!

Derek Nishino
Sep 9 at 5:42 AM
I was able to find a fix for my problem. Doing some debugging I saw this error message:

XMLHttpRequest cannot load http://_servername_:4280042800/sitename/_vti_bin/Lists.asmx. Cross origin requests are only supported for protocol schemes: http, data, chrome, chrome-extension, https, chrome-extension-resource.

The server I'm working on uses port 42800 and it looks like somehow port 42800 is being passed as 4280042800. I did some searching in the discussions and found this very helpful thread https://spservices.codeplex.com/discussions/637331 that suggested using the 2014.01 version of SPServices instead of 2014.02. I downloaded 2014.01 and it works like a charm. Hopefully a fix for this can be incorporated into the next version, if there is one.

Thanks,

Derek